You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Phenoms + AM2 boards... heh - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
Rammsteiner
Rammsteiner's PC Specs

Phenoms + AM2 boards... heh

Hey guys,

Been reading a lot leately about Phenom's. Someone got a BIOS of a Japanese site and got his Phenom at 2.75Hgz now on 790FX lol.

Anyway, other people are trying the Phenoms on the AM2 boards... Now I m wondering, wont the NB bottleneck those Phenoms as Phenoms has/could have higher HT troughput or am I a retard now for messing things up
Rammsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
oohms
oohms's PC Specs

Re: Phenoms + AM2 boards... heh

Usually HT speeds didnt affect much on the 939 platform so i don't think it would make a difference for Phenoms. In multi socket applications i think it would matter though.
oohms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Jammer
Jammer's PC Specs

mAJORD on OCAU is having a **** time OC'ing one of these. Phenom is a flop! For the moment anyway.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
Rammsteiner
Rammsteiner's PC Specs

By Jammer View Post
mAJORD on OCAU is having a **** time OC'ing one of these. Phenom is a flop! For the moment anyway.
Calling it a flop is a bit too far IMO.

Phenoms aren't operating superior mainly cause of BIOS immaturity. Also I think a revision of 2 are needed to get it work better. I wouldnt buy a Phenom right now, results aren't superb. But at least it's working, it just needs some optimizations.

Anyway, Ive no clue why you've to jump in and yell it's a flop actually, it has nothing to do with my question.

But well, thx oohms for your respond. Im not sure though, there has to be a reason they got it in the first place. Maybe for CrossfireX? I'd guess 4 GPU's will cause a lot of data to be transfered, if it goes trough the HT it is.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Jammer
Jammer's PC Specs

Dude maybe your English needs a bit of brushing up. Do you know what a flop is?

A flop is when something has been hyped up too much and the end result isn't as spectacular as the hype.

ie. I'm not saying it's a crap cpu, it's just not living up to the hype.

And to answer your question, I've "jumped in" to tell you that a certain user on OCAU is having a tought time overclocking one of these CPU's. Maybe you'd like to have a look at the thread.

Never mind, I can see you're an AMD fanboy and have been upset that your beloved Phenom has been beaten by Intel... AGAIN. Not only by current Intel CPU's but even by previous generation CPU's.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
Rammsteiner
Rammsteiner's PC Specs

By Jammer View Post
Dude maybe your English needs a bit of brushing up. Do you know what a flop is?

A flop is when something has been hyped up too much and the end result isn't as spectacular as the hype.

ie. I'm not saying it's a crap cpu, it's just not living up to the hype.

And to answer your question, I've "jumped in" to tell you that a certain user on OCAU is having a tought time overclocking one of these CPU's. Maybe you'd like to have a look at the thread.

Never mind, I can see you're an AMD fanboy and have been upset that your beloved Phenom has been beaten by Intel... AGAIN. Not only by current Intel CPU's but even by previous generation CPU's.
lol

Ive been following that thread for a while actually, and if you'd look further you'd see he's using a different mobo+ BIOS then the other guy. He uses a Japanese BIOS and Gigabyte mobo and gets a lot better OC's out of it.

Im not an AMD fan boi fyi. Maybe reading my last two threads would make that clear pretty much.

I got to admit I thought flop meant crap indeed, however IMO it's not really hyped all that much. Then again English isnt my native language and flop means someting in Dutch as well

However, spoken about fanboy-ism, your last sentence says a 1000x more over you than my previous post about me.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Jammer
Jammer's PC Specs

Hey I'm an Intel fanboy and I admit it. No secrets there. LOL

Anyway I apologise for sounding a bit rude, I re read my post and it may have been a bit on the harsh side. English is my second language too (Hungarian is 1st) and sometimes I forget what it was like when I didn't speak it as well. No hard feelings?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
Rammsteiner
Rammsteiner's PC Specs

By Jammer View Post
Hey I'm an Intel fanboy and I admit it. No secrets there. LOL

Anyway I apologise for sounding a bit rude, I re read my post and it may have been a bit on the harsh side. English is my second language too (Hungarian is 1st) and sometimes I forget what it was like when I didn't speak it as well. No hard feelings?
Nah it's ok, both wrong

Anyway, I'd like to get SLI with my upgrade but DFI 680i's are slowly disappaering and 590 SLI is only for 939/AM2. Phenoms will fit on it but Ive my doubts if I wont hit huge bottlenecks due to slower HT. Besides that 590 SLI... I dont know if it's a real good chip anyway