You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Salavating - Thermaltake 1200W Toughpower - King of Kings - Page 5 - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 20-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #33
wazzer96
wazzer96's PC Specs

Re: Salavating - Thermaltake 1200W Toughpower - King of Kings

There is a "double boot" that is normal with any P965/P35 chipset now. I just hope you are waiting long enough to see if it actually does it correctly, from any unplugging.

Quote:
Just picked one up for the ol lady. Was a quick and easy build, literally 5 mins and then OS install. The drivers were effortless and everything was a breeze. It does indeed have the cold boot issue. When powering up from "off", it begins a short powerup cycle for a few seconds and then powers off completely for two seconds and then begins the complete bootup. It does not do this when just restarting the machine, only when starting it from being completely powered off. I have yet to check the overclocking capabilities but I believe it is capable of ~475fsb.
---------------------
The boards ARE DESIGNED to double boot at post when changing certain settings. It's called a global reset, and has to do with setting up the Intel northbridge, whether it be a P965, P35, etc.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=586127
wazzer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #34
lowdog
lowdog's PC Specs

Yeah thats what I get, with the Silverstone ST85ZF it would do exactly as that guy describes with a cold boot.....power on then immediately shutdown then 2 seconds later bootup normally.

However with the TT it will power on for a split second then shutdown and not boot back up.....will only bootup if I hold the power button down for 5 secs then hit the power button again then it boots fine.
lowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #35
lowdog
lowdog's PC Specs

Well the Toughpower 1200W is solid under tests. fully loaded the +12V is solid @ 12.21V and doesn't budge a fraction, the +5V is 5.09V and is solid also. the +3.3V seems to deviate between 3.30V and 3.28V and thats about it.

Runs nice and quite as well, even when my system is loaded up the unit doesn't even break a sweat and seems quite cool.

Only anoying thing is the cold boot up issue after power has been cut off from the unit via the on/off switch. Sometimes it will allow the mobo to do it's double pump bootup fine and other times I have to keep the power button pressed in for it to allow the system to do it's double bootup trip........thermal control in the unit???, oh well just leave the on/off switch on the unit in the on position and it's fine.

Hope holding the power button on to force it to boot on a cold start after power has been switched off won't be detrimental to components in the long run
Old 20-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #36
wazzer96
wazzer96's PC Specs

By lowdog View Post
Only anoying thing is the cold boot up issue after power has been cut off from the unit via the on/off switch. Sometimes it will allow the mobo to do it's double pump bootup fine and other times I have to keep the power button pressed in for it to allow the system to do it's double bootup trip........thermal control in the unit???, oh well just leave the on/off switch on the unit in the on position and it's fine.
er, thats a completely DIFFERENT situation from what you initially said.
The link you gave described cold boot prob from CASE switch, not red on-off rocker switch on PSU.
When you shut off PSU, you cut off trickle voltage to mobo
Everything I posted is irrelevant to THAT situation..
FWIW, the CM ESBA and OCZ ProXStreem 1000W have no on-off switch.

but, hey, a win is a win.
wazzer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #37
lowdog
lowdog's PC Specs

Yeah, sorry Wazzer, mobo cold boot/double post is slightly irrevelant though I thought it may have had some effect on the PUS.

Anyway. After playing some more with the Tt 1200W I have found that the on/off switch on the PSU doesn't have to be switched off for the unit to exhibit the same symptoms of starting for a split second then nothing. However I have figured out how to start it each time after the comp has been shut down.

Press the powerbutton and hold it in for 5 seconds (fans spin for a microsecond then stop) then imediately press it again and the system boots up everytime. Wouldn't have a clue why the unit behaves like this

But once it's running it deliveres as it does in all the reviews. Just have to decide if I can live with having to start it in this manner each time and if it will have any detrimental effects on sysstem components.

Whatdoyareckon??????
Old 20-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #38
ncsa
ncsa's PC Specs

Really, this is a PSU issue and not the Mobo?

I saw these but having had some Tt issues a few years back so stayed away from them and was recently waiting for the DA1200 but it still not arived so swapped a DFI 680i for an OP1000.

But it seems Tt have come a long way in actually delivering what is spec'd on the box , personally I would go with the Silverstone
ncsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #39
lowdog
lowdog's PC Specs

Just an update:

The Tt Toughpower 1200W PSU is fine, have tested it with Asus P5W64 and P5B-D and it starts the system straight up as normal.

Took my Asus P5K-Premium out of the case (to make sure there wasn't a short issue going on while it was mounted in the case) and lay it on some spunge rubber matt and it still failed to post normally, had to do the 5 second hold down the power switch then release and press again immediately to boot it up. Even tried shorting the start pins on the mobo and still the same senario.

Conclusion; PSU is fine, P5K-P has some sort of wierd compatability issue going on with this particular PSU. Why?...phucked if I know...yay Asus

I'll just live with this Frankenstein start up procedure for the time being, can't see it causing any problems to hardware in the long term, no big inconvenience really.

Sorted!!
Old 22-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #40
ncsa
ncsa's PC Specs

Well at least the PSU is good then ... mobos change far more often than a PSU, so the startup issue prob. won't be around for too long
ncsa is offline   Reply With Quote