You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Tweaking my SSD - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
paulxmn
paulxmn's PC Specs

Tweaking my SSD

This only applies to W764: Since I only have the 60GB OCZ Vertex the gain from 18GB free space to 38GB was substantial.

To gain more space and improve overall system performance:

Enable Trim:
TRIM is Enabled

In the start menu search box, type" cmd";

Right click the cmd program and select Run as Adminstrator; and In the command line type "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify".if DisableDeleteNotify = 0 TRIM is Enabled.
If DisableDeleteNotify = 1 TRIM is Disabled.

Disable System Restore
System Restore on a SSD can degrade the SSD performance over time and make it very difficult for TRIM to work. It is recommended to disable System Restore to prevent this and to regain valuable SSD storage space.

Disable Drive Indexing
With the access times of a SSD there is no need to index the drive for quicker response times, like with a standard hard drive.

1. Right click your SSD and select Properties; and
  2. Un-check the box marked "Allow files to have contents indexed in addition to file properties".
  3. A popup screen may appear, stating there is an error applying attributes, this is normal and you should select "Ignore All" and continue.
  4. Disable Drive De-fragmentation Schedule
Disable PageFile
This does not improve the performance of the SSD and saves 3 to 4 GB of space on your SSD. Do not disable if you have less than 4GB of Memory.

Disable Hibernation
Disabling hibernation will return 2 GB of valuable storage space to your SSD. Its provides no real benefit to a SSD due to quick load times.

Disable Prefetch and Superfetch
To Disable:
Type Regedit into the Start Menu;

1. Select the file path; "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement\Pr efetchParameters
  2. "Right click on both EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch;Select modify on each of these to change the value from 1 (or 3) to 0,
Restart.

Disable Windows Search and Superfetch
How to Disable
Press Winkey + 'R' for Run Dialogue;

Type "services.msc" and press Enter;

Scroll to Superfetch, right click and select Properties;

In the drop down menu, select Disabled and select Ok;

Scroll to Windows Search, right click and select Properties;

Click the Stop box, than use the drop down menu, select Disable and select Ok.

Disable ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache.
How to Disable:

Type Regedit into the Start Menu;

1. Select the file path; "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory Management"
  2. Right click on both ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache;Select modify on each of these to change the value from 1 to 0, and Restart.

Last edited by paulxmn; 09-07-2012 at 09:06 AM.
paulxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
donmarkoni
donmarkoni's PC Specs

Great guide!

Just two things:

Missed "\SYSTEM" in the registry path while explaining how to disable things.

Other thing is actually a question: why would one disable large system cache?
Disabling page file clearing is obvious, why would one allow few GBs of unnecessary host writes to SSD, but large system cache should be beneficial, using maximum amount of RAM when needed, instead of writing to SSD.

By paulxmn View Post
...[snip]...

Select the file path; "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement\P refetchParameters

...[snip]...

Disable ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache. How to Disable:

...[snip]...

Select the file path; "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory Management"
Right click on both ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache;Select modify on each of these to change the value from 1 to 0, and Restart.

...[snip]...
donmarkoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
paulxmn
paulxmn's PC Specs

Corrections Made

Thanks, there is a difference of opinion about the Large System Cache. I have not seen any change in performance with my Maximus build. I will enable again and continue benching.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
paulxmn
paulxmn's PC Specs

Perhaps this might help from my internet reading.

By donmarkoni View Post
Great guide!

Other thing is actually a question: why would one disable large system cache?
Disabling page file clearing is obvious, why would one allow few GBs of unnecessary host writes to SSD, but large system cache should be beneficial, using maximum amount of RAM when needed, instead of writing to SSD.
Windows 7 Large System Cache comes disabled, and we recommend you leave it that way, unless you’re running a server edition of Windows. The Large System sets aside the remaining free RAM for caching files, thus, generally improving background services, but taking out the performance out of your programs.