You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Suggestions - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 27-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Brook
Brook's PC Specs

Suggestions

I got an email the other day announcing the forum update and asking for people to post suggestions. So here I am

First of all I must mention that I don't normally post suggestions for forums, most people running forums just run them/set them up with their own tastes and wants and don't pay much attention to the end user. Plus, many usability and basic good design principles just go right over their heads. So I kindof feel I'd be wasting my breath.

But I like i4memory, and I like George (who's helped me many times in the past!) and I like the members There is a great community feel here which reminds me of what I strive for myself in my own sites.

So....

Consistancy. Be consistant in the forum descriptions/headings. You have some with descriptions, some without. Keep the descriptions short if you are going to use them, but be consistant - it will look a lot neater.

External Links. Why so prominent? I would move to a sticky, or if you must, use subforum links in a single column so they use less space. (It's naughty, but you can use a br as the seperator.)

Forums. Can be more targetted? Seperate AMD and Intel? Each with a forum for Motherboards, CPus, Memory, General etc It makes it a lot easier to navigate and use the forum - especially as those would be the main sections people would want to get to.

i4memory. At first glance, people will think the site is about memory, and memory alone - is that what you want? If not, how about a new name? The name can be descriptive, or totally non descriptive (but it shouldn't really be half way in between).

These are just my opinions. I do work in the web industry but don't let that fool you
Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom
Re: Suggestions

Thanks Brook for the kind words and suggestions

yes i4memory.com main focus is around memory... cpu/boards/video cards just show the memory off

the forum separation of AMD/intel would be a good idea if i wanted the forums to be more general but with the focus goal more on memory, probably don't need too many main forums to overshadow memory focus/forums right now.

I prefer not to use descriptions at all but some forums do need them heh.

Not sure what you mean by external links ? You mean to manufacturer's support forums ? Since the main focus is memory I thought it would be good to have them there so folks can jump straight off to respective manufacturer's support forums from i4memory.com. The goal being for i4memory.com to be eventually a one stop place for everyone's memory related issues/adventures or source of info

Each forum category on far right has a collapsing forum icon you can just hide away the forum categories you don't want to see. Saving you some windows/desktop space on the main forumhome index page at http://i4memory.com/forums.php

Anyway if you have more suggestions let me know
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Brook
Brook's PC Specs

Yep I meant those links :-)

I think it's handy having them, but why send users away if this is a memory related site (unless they are paying you for those links in which case fair enough)

I thought the site was more of a general overclocking related site, hence my comments on the name (which at first made me think it was a 'memory-only' related site - but I stuck around cos I found you were here ).

If your goal is to be the one stop shop for memory then I would suggest consider creating forums for each brand. Although being new to OCing I'm not sure how much call there would be for that.

Am sure it'll do really well tho, you have a great atmosphere here.
Good luck!
Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
T_M
T_M's PC Specs

George (Eva) has a good working relationship with all the sites he has linked to. There is no reason to make it more difficult for people to find what they want memory wise by making the links conspicuous. His links fit in with his "one-stop-shop" philosophy by helping people find the brand specific memory sites
T_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom

Yeah i don't mind those external links... as T_M said it fits in with my philosophy since I do realise i4memory.com won't have every bit of info and help a person needs.

Hence, linking to where they can get that additional help is good

Forums ultimately are about sharing information... so that's what i4memory.com does whether the information is locally (on the forums) or externally linked

Have you ever been to a forum which bans external links to other sites but their own ? extremeoverclocking.com forums is one i can think of. Try posting useful externally linked info to help a users problem with his pc and you'll get those external links and your post deleted and a mod pm'ing warning you. That puts me right off from really posting on such a forum
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
RodneyJM
RodneyJM's PC Specs

While we are on the topic of suggestions, I have only one minor concern.
That is for users who have O/C results to show the version of CPUZ they are using. I think that adds more credibility to the results of the O/C screenshot.
RodneyJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
T_M
T_M's PC Specs

Hmm, for me its not so much of an issue because we do not make claims of records here as much as, say, XS.
Sure if you are claiming a record, then show the version but usually you would have a validation for it anyway, especially if its a hwbot submission.
T_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
RodneyJM
RodneyJM's PC Specs

Whats the problem with posting screenshots? since the upgrade of the forums software, I've got some of my pics showing as a link to my chosen image hosting website. It just means vistors or members have to surf to another website...
RodneyJM is offline   Reply With Quote