You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
[Anandtech.com] iOS 6 Beta Posted Online for Developers - Update: We Try it Out - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
News
News Hound
News's PC Specs

[Anandtech.com] iOS 6 Beta Posted Online for Developers - Update: We Try it Out

Apple just set the iOS 6 beta page live, and we're hurreidly downloading our build 10A5316k install images. Interestingly enough, Apple has decided to call the iPad 2,4 "iPad 2 Wi-Fi Rev A" which is a decidedly more human name, if a bit confusing. The iPhone 4S image weighs in at around 880 MB. As rumored, the beta page doesn't include images for the original iPad WiFi.

We'll update with some impressions and screenshots after getting it installed. iOS 6 includes numerous improvements to Siri, Facebook integration, as well as Apple's own mapping product, and will launch sometime this fall.

Gallery: iOS 6 Beta - Screenshots

I've gotten the iOS 6 beta installed on my iPhone 4S and gave it a quick walk through. First off, the visual theme changes slightly, with the status bar now turning blue when in some contexts like settings. Apple has added a new "tap to tweet" shortcut in the notifications center shade, which is clearly inspired by quicktweet. Also among the notificiations center changes is a new "do not disturb" toggle which disables notifications and adds a small crescent moon icon in the status bar. This can also be scheduled and customized more inside the notificaton settings pane.

Also new on the Settings page is Privacy, where users can grant and revoke app access to contacts, calendars, reminders, and photo API data, in addition to location services like in iOS 5.

Speaking of Settings, the whole application gets a nice re-organization, with the bluetooth toggle now pulled out of General and placed squarely below Wi-Fi. Facebook also gets integrated as a service, right below Twitter.

The next obvious big feature is Maps, which no longer uses Google's map tiles and instead uses data from TomTom and Apple's in house sources. The interface retains all of the previous maps application functionality (minus street view) and adds both turn by turn navigation and a 3D perspective view you can change by tapping and dragging with two fingers. iOS 6 maps seems just as performant and fluid as the previous maps application.

MobileSafari also gets an update, though the core WebKit version remains the same. The changes are primarily both in the UI and overall feel. Loading a page, the new mobilesafari seems to update the status bar quicker, and the overscroll background is now the hatched notifications center pattern instead of just grey. JavaScript also gets a nice speed bump on the new version. I've made a table with the details. Interestingly enough, iOS 6's user agent is masquerading as iOS 5.

iOS MobileSafari Location WebKit Version HTML5test.com Score CSS3test.com Score Sunspider 0.9.1 iOS 5.1.1 534.46 324 + 9 52% 2226.1 iOS 6.0 Beta 534.46 360 + 9 57% 1842.9
The browser is still limited to having 8 pages open at once, something I know users have been wanting to see increased. That said the overall user experience does feel better than the previous version. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to render and load faster - some side by side testing with a stopwatch will tell if this is just new shiny placebo.

Other minor tweaks include a new dialer and camera application interface. I'm still poking around to find all of the new goodness and will update as I find things.

Source: Apple Developer Portal

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote