You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Asus 680i Striker Extreme SLI motherboard - Bios/setup photos [56k users beware] - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 18-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom
Cool Asus 680i Striker Extreme SLI motherboard - Bios/setup photos [56k users beware]

Asus 680i Striker Extreme Core2 SLI motherboard
Bios & setup photos

Update: Dec 20th, 2006 - results are up now here.

Today received a nice package from Asus Taiwan, an Asus 680i Striker Extreme Judging from the bios options, it will take me quite a while to figure things out. So for now, I've gone into overkill digital camera photo snapping madness mode

First up the Asus 680i Striker Extreme package and board itself.

View all photos here

[Click thumbnail to view full size photo, use keyboard arrow keys to cycle through images]

The contents including the flexible SLI bridge connector and full version of Ghost Recon Game etc. The inner box for the accesories is labelled Crosshair for their AM2 ???

The clear see-through container housing the actual Asus 680i Striker Extreme motherboard, sound card and Array microphone.

The Asus 680i Striker Extreme heatpiped heatsink cooling around cpu socket area threading through the Southbridge heatsink and mosfets area as well

The onboard power, reset and clear CMOS switches and closeup of the plastic adhesive over Asus 680i Striker Extreme Southbridge heatsink which you must remove

Close up of Asus 680i Striker Extreme Southbridge area

Close up of Asus 680i Striker Extreme cpu socket area and measured height of heatpiped heatsink at ~4cm

Scythe Infinity mounting mod pictures on Asus 680i Striker Extreme. With the Asus 680i Striker Extreme heatpipes around the area I suspect it will be hard to remove heatsinks which use intel's plastic white peg mechanisms, so I did the mod outlined at [url]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117054[/URLF] and plucked out the pegs and used bolts and nuts and plastic washers on back side etc

Here you see before and after plucking the pegs out and the short bolts I grabbed off 3x Swiftech MCP650/655 pump kits which were used to mount the pumps. I used the black rubber washers to secure the bolts top side too

Final mounting mechanism on Asus 680i Striker Extreme with tall white spacers + flat round spacer on top with the nut to secure it. Tightened a bit too tight first time as the motherboard didn't boot up, so loosened it a bit and booted fine

For folks asking, does the Scythe Infinity fit on Asus 680i Striker Extreme ? Answer is yes it clears the heatpiped heatsinks easily as the heatpiped heatsinks are ~4cm tall and Scythe Infinity has a clearance height of ~4.5cm

Final Asus 680i Striker Extreme setup pictures

Asus 680i SLI bridge (top), Asus M2N32-SLI's SLI bridge (middle), DFI NF4 UT SLI-DR SLI bridge (bottom)

3x60x25mm Sunon 23.5cfm MagLev fans cooling ram and 120x25mm 81cfm Thermaltake fan on Scythe Infinity (positioned fan lower to provide air flow under the Scythe Infninity heatsink mosfet area

Full Asus 680i Striker Extreme setup and back I/O panel LCD read out

Last edited by eva2000; 20-05-2008 at 05:09 PM.
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

Re: Asus 680i Striker Extreme Core2 SLI motherboard - Bios & setup photos

Next up are Asus 680i Striker Extreme bios pictures

First windows screenie for CPUZ and PC Probe2

Last edited by eva2000; 28-12-2006 at 04:52 AM.
Old 18-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

Re: Asus 680i Striker Extreme SLI motherboard - Bios/setup photos [56k users beware]

Asus 680i Striker Extreme & other downloads
Lastest Official Asus 680i Striker Extreme Bios:
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...iker%20Extreme

1202 BETA bios
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...treme/1202.zip

Changes since 1102 official bios:
BIOS version: 1202 Date:05/23/2007

Checksum: A800H

01.Update NV RAID ROM to 6.98
02.Update NVMM to 4.A72.24
03.Support wolfdale CPU.
04.Release EZflash B322
05.Add microcode not found & update fail message.
06.Modify CPU fan speed warning item value.

============================================================ =======================
BIOS version: 1201 Date:05/09/2007

Checksum: 1200H

01.Use new French translation.
02.Modify General Help string.
03.Use new B5 translation.
04.Fixed floppy item value error.
05.Skip checking 2nd Checksum for some memory patch
06.Disable unused PCIE Bridge to fix
a.DTM -PCI Compliance issue
b.ATI Crossfire fail issue.
07.Use new GB translation.
08.Patch Hynix HYMP512U64CP8-S5-AB when Full Loading for stability
09.Release EZ Flash2 version B321.
10.Update new microcode :
a.New Micro Code for CPU: 06FBH Patch ID=B3H Platform ID =10h (Kentsfield-G0).
b.New Micro Code for CPU: 06FBH Patch ID=B3H Platform ID =01h (Conroe-G0).
c.New Micro Code for CPU: 06FDH Patch ID=A1H Platform ID =01h (Conroe-M0).
11.Use new Japanese translation.
12.Support post message in Japanese
13.Added SATA trap for MCP55.
14.Fixed L1 and L2 cache size will show incorrect in DMI with Conroe-L CPU.
15.Update Micro Code for CPU: 10661H Patch ID=32H Platform ID =01h (Conroe-L-A1).
16.Fixed Conroe-L CPU L2 cache size show incorrect issue.
17.Update Micro Code for CPU=0F65H ID=09H Platform ID=04h. (Cedar Mill/Cedar Mill ICP/Presler)
18.Fixed when Post96h update DMI data and AC power loss.The DMI data might be destroyed.

1002 bios
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...treme/1002.zip
1.Fix incorrect display of Vcore value when above 1.80V.
2.Fixed CPU Vcore cannot be set by user when Overclocking at some frequency.
3.Support new CPUs, please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...iker%20Extreme
Indeed it seems from user reports that vcore issue is fixed http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=134117

0701 bios
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...eme/SE0701.zip
Striker Extreme Release BIOS 0701
1. Fixed NB Core voltage setting error when CMOS fail
2. Enable support for Conroe 1333MHz processor
3. Fixed VID incorrect after OC to 1201Mhz(FSB)
4. Added New Micro Code to support new CPU
5. Finetune CPU temperature calculation algorithm
6. Displays "Press TAB to display BIOS POST Message" string even when full screen logo is enabled.
7. Correct incorrect info under Summary screen.
8. Correct "SLI-Ready Memory Detected" display problem at POST
9. Fixed CPU not restore back to original frequncy after CPR
10. Add help string for HPET item.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
0505 bios
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...eme/SE0505.zip
Striker Extreme release BIOS version 0505
1. Support Max LDT Frequency from 5X to 8X
2. Fine tune CPU Temperature detection code
3. Fixed some default value can't save when using BIOS Profile function.
4. Enable adjustments for tRD and TrFC item
5. Enhance DDR667 memory compatibility
6. Enhance performance for Corsair CM2X1024-9136C5D
7. Fixed CPU Voltage max option drops to 1.60V when set Multi-Language option to 'Tri Chinese' , 'Sim Chinese' or 'Japanese'.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Asus 680i Striker Extreme Comments and opinions:
Have to put this somewhere so thought why not this post. I'll keep updating this as I go along
  1. #1 outstanding feature of the Asus 680i Striker Extreme is it's ease of recovering from a failed overclock or overclocking too far! It's nice that Asus included a Clear CMOS button/switch on the board, but I have not yet once during overclocking tests needed to Clear CMOS when I clocked too far or tightened ram timings too much. Didn't even have to power down the board if it doesn't boot after exiting bios. All I did was hit the power reset switch on the motherboard and hit DEL key and the board loads back up from the bad settings. Then just boot into bios and change the settings to more suitable config and off you go. This comes in handy especially with the wide variety of bios settings and ram timings you can tweak or overtweak
  2. With so many options in bios I'd recommend you use memtest86+ v1.65 to test your memory even before you install windows to ensure your memory timings and settings all are decent enough to not error out.
  3. Don't over tighten your cpu heatsink mounting as I found out, too tight and the motherboard doesn't boot up until you loosen the mount.
  4. In bios there's two settings I would disable immediately and that is GPU Ex and Linkboost which allow the board to automatically overclock your nVidia GPU cards and PCI-E and MCP HT Bus respectively. You don't need to enable this as you'd want to do the overclocking manually
  5. Vcore is severely undervolted, bios set 1.3875v vcore = 1.28v idle and 1.26v load. Bios set 1.675v vcore = 1.57v idle and 1.55v load. Update: looks like later bioses sort of fix that as reports of 402/405 bios showing vcore closer to what's set. Haven't tried any bioses other than 302 that the board came with so far.
  6. Vdimm is slightly overvolted, i.e. 2.1v set = 2.14v vdimm, 2.15v vdimm set = 2.19v, 2.2v set = 2.25v vdimm.
  7. Asus PC Probe2 under reports the psu rails as you can see from my digital multimeter tests here.
  8. Asus Probe2 occasionally has a bug dropping the displayed voltage reading down to 0.00v http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=126949 It could be bios related. I'm still on 302 bios while 402, 405, 505, 508 bioses are available.

Asus PC Probe2 reported PSU rail voltages:
Asus PC Probe2 reported voltages vs Digitech QM1538 Digital Multimeter measurements while under load @2400mhz at 1.3875v bios set (1.28v vcore idle / 1.26v vcore load).

+3.3v rail = 3.26v vs 3.387v real
+5v rail = 4.78-4.89v vs 5.02v real
+12v rail = 11.78v vs 12.23v real

Bios template for 680i Striker users to report their settings:
AI Tuning: Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex: Disabled
LinkBoost: Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
x FSB - Memory Raio: N/A
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1066 (means 266FSB)
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1066.7
MEM (DDR), Mhz: 667 (means 333mhz speeds)
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz: 666.7

Vcore Voltage:
Memory Voltage:
1.2v HT Voltage:
NB Core Voltage:
SB Core Voltage:
CPU VTT Voltage:
DDRII Controller Ref Voltage:
DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage:
DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage:

tCL (CAS Latency): 4
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tRAS: 12
Command Per Clock (CMD): 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings
tRRD: AUTO
tRC: AUTO
tWR: AUTO
tWTR: AUTO
tREF: AUTO
Async Latency: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 100
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 200
Relevant user links and info:
Just compiling useful info to help me and others get started. While P5N32-E SLI is a different board from Striker Extreme, it's useful to see what bios settings/voltages folks use to achieve what overclocks they manage to pull off
  1. OCER.net Striker review http://www.ocer.net/article/a_show.php?id=8742 (will need google language translator to read as it's in Chinese)
  2. Asus 680i, P5N32-E Sli Results http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=123227
  3. 680i Tips, Glitchs, Things to Know and More http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=124363
  4. ASUS P5N32-E/Striker SLI Tips and Tricks Thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=125790
  5. Asus Striker Extreme, E6600, small review http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=124795
  6. Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i Bios Settings http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=125718
  7. Official ASUS ROG EXTREME STRIKER 680i Result http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=123321
  8. 680i Overclocking thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=122683

Asus 680i Striker Extreme Reviews:
Some of the Asus 680i Striker Extreme reviews online from around the world. Please pay attention to the date of the review and bioses used in these reviews as there's usually a natural progression of improvement and bug fixes as the bios matures
Regarding Asus 680i Striker Extreme SLI/Sound:
Still testing ram/settings etc and have yet to try SLI so no idea on sound issue yet. But Asus Striker is different from reference 680i in that it moved the sound off the motherboard to a separate daughter board card which is x1 PCI-E based and slots into the PCI-E slot. From what a few folks online have experienced they don't have sound issues when SLI is enabled due to this difference. I can't confirm it until I run SLI later though.

The separate Asus 680i Striker Extreme sound card and it's array microphone

Asus 680i Striker Extreme chipsets uncovered:
What's under the heatsinks http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=3550 ?

Interesting discovery from Asus faq:
http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx...Language=en-us

Asus 680i striker, striker extreme and P5N32-E SLI are meant to use C55XE chipset for 680i while P5N32-E Plus uses C55 chipset for 680i.

Almost all current retail P5N32-E SLI boards' 680 chipsets are labeled NF680i instead of C55/C55XE at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=129563 and the chipsets are > week 45 and 40 respectively for NB/SB.

Seems my striker is alot older with week 36 C55 chipset and not the C55XE as you can see here. Or Asus just not strictly adhering to the naming conventions ?

Asus 680i Striker Extreme Other notes/links:
Nvidia statement on December 18, 2006 regarding 680i SATA corruption issues here
Drew Henry Interview

Drew Henry, General Manager of MCP Business at NVIDIA, took time to answer some pointed questions that will hopefully give you the solid answers you need in reference to the nForce 680i problems.

Q: Concerning the 680i issues, what EXACTLY is the problem? BIOS, driver, MCP/chipset, or other hardware? Or combination thereof?

A: The problem that some users were experiencing related to signal timings on the motherboard. The new BIOS (P32) corrects this.

Q: Is the fix a workaround that compromises other technology on the motherboard?

A: Absolutely not. We should have caught this in our internal QA process. Unfortunately, we didn't, and we have adjusted internal processes to make sure that this does not happen again. As the manufacturer of these products, we need to be absolutely certain that the quality of the product that is brought to market is top-notch and that the experience that consumers will be receiving is nothing but positive.

Q: Are there “bad” 680i MCPs/chipsets out there?

A: No. This is not a MCP issue. It's really a board issue, and in this case, only with the motherboards that were designed and manufactured by NVIDIA. In fact, boards built by other manufacturers that use the same MCPs, including the ASUS Striker Extreme, ASUS P5N32-E SLI, and the ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboards, are NOT affected. When you hear of customer issues, your first thought is "how widespread is this," but it was pretty clear early on that it related only to the boards that we designed and manufactured. Talk about embarrassing!

Q: Why would the issue impact one board and not another on the same exact hardware/software install?

A: There are statistical variations in electrical characteristics between boards, which in some cases, can mask the underlying issue. The BIOS adjusts timing in a way that avoids this condition.

Q: Is this P23 BIOS going to cure all 680i users' SATA problems?

A: We believe so. We are releasing a BETA BIOS version so that customers can use it. We are completing our testing and will release a final version soon.

Q: So what do you have to say customers that have had to endure this frustrating set of events?

A: We are sorry they had to go through it. We've spent all of this time, money and engineering resources to make the best possible platform for Intel CPUs, and then just as our customers and partners are experiencing awesome success with the new NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI motherboard, this happens. The bottom line is that our QA process missed this condition. Once we identified the problem it became our top priority to solve it. The information provided by the forum members proved to be very valuable. They were really instrumental in helping us identify this issue and provide a solution.

Last edited by eva2000; 27-06-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 18-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
Bugeyes
Bugeyes's PC Specs

Re: Asus 680i Striker Extreme SLI motherboard - Bios/setup photos [56k users beware]

3.425 VDIMM hmmm sounds a bit dangerous, I would love to see this board up against the 965 commando... asus seem to be going after DFI with all there nice high end boards lately.
Bugeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #5
RodneyJM
RodneyJM's PC Specs

OMG! that board looks like Heatpipe Heaven...
Too bad its not really retail here in Sydney now. So I'm going to order me the BX2 tommorow.. I'm sticking with whats proven...

Last edited by RodneyJM; 20-12-2006 at 08:02 PM.
RodneyJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
d-unknown
d-unknown's PC Specs

nice eva! i'm looking forward to your review/results. =)
d-unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 03:01 AM   #7
sandeep
sandeep's PC Specs

Wow Congrats!

Whats the deal with yoru 12V rail sitting at 11.78V?

Looking forward to your review.

Fancy 1T at high FSBs?
sandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 03:09 AM   #8
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

Asus Probe always under reports rails, I'll measure them later and report back. Updated 3rd post with useful links and 2nd post updated with cpuz screenies.

Off to bed... more action tomorrow