You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
EVGA 680i SLI board is killing ram, - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 24-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
MOJOM@N
MOJOM@N's PC Specs

EVGA 680i SLI board is killing ram,

I have seen a few people now other than my self reporting that their EVGA board has killed their ram..

Originally posted by Dayofpain
[br]heres a nice piece of ****.

4x DOMINATOR PC8888 FRIED
4X DOMINATOR PC8500 FRIED
2X OCZ TITIANIUM PC8000 FRIED.

Im going to return this pos to newegg. (the mobo)

First mobo.

http://www.evga.com/community/messag...erms=dayofpain

Second mobo.

Installed last night.

Have to remove power and use cmos jumper to boot EVERY SINGLE TIME. beta bios flashed. Too bad everysingle resistor on the board needed to be straightened. 2 were bent all the way to the ram slots. gfg.

cant boot cant maintain voltage. and this is one that they handpicked for an advanced rma.

later evga. 2 strikes ur out.

2 thousand dollars in ram. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by palese
[br]just lost a stick of Corsair 6400C3DF in black slot, the default volt for this ram is 2.4
---------------------------------------------

Originally posted by linflas

and I have 2 GB of Gskill sitting on my desk waiting for an RMA number because one stick I know for sure has gone to the ******per, and another that I do not trust now, back to corsair for me, as soon as I get new one's back from RMA the gskill goes on ebay, and I get some better corsair stuff
------------------------------------

By sadcat1
I can tell you in my case no sticks work in the right slots, all sticks work in the left slots and when a stick is put in either right slot,I get C1 and a long beep.
-----------------------------------------

By lopri
Absolutely no. I had the same C1 problem with one of my sticks. I first thought my stick was defective because I didn't have a problem booting with my other pair. (Both pairs are exact same model, same batch)

After playing a bit with the working pair, I used canned air to blow any dirt away from the sticks and the slots. I also configured the BIOS settings to what I wanted (including Vdimm). Shut down the machine and inserted the problematic sticks, then it worked flawlessly ever since.
---------------------------------------------

Last edited by MOJOM@N; 24-11-2006 at 08:45 PM.
MOJOM@N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom
Re: EVGA 680i SLI board is killing ram,

ouch indeed.. my reply on that thread

Ouch sorry to hear, but question do you switch off the power from the psu/walls socket main before swapping/installing memory ? Do you allow a couple of minutes in between powering off at psu/wall socket mains, and swapping out/installing your memory in the dimm slots ?

You're meant to do this with any hardware component as well, i.e. video cards, cpu, pci/pci-e devices etc too.

Swapping out hardware with just a pc shutdown from windows, while mains/psu power is still on is bad and can sometimes may cause damage to gear.

It's highly advisable that you do this procedure regardless of motherboard used seeing as the original posting, Dayofpain has had the same dead ram slot issue on Asus 590, P5W DH and now eVGA 680i motherboard.

Also use that anti-static wrist strap, I never touch gear without it.

But that's how you are meant to handle changing/installing new gear. I don't own a 680i board yet, but I have 11+ GB of high end DDR2 memory here with no probs on

2x Intel D975XBX Bad axe rev304 upto 2.39v vdimm
1x Asus P5W DH upto 2.54v vdimm
1x Asus P5B Deluxe upto 2.45v vdimm
1x Abit AW8D-Max up to 2.3v vdimm
1x Abit AW8 up to 2.3v vdimm

But that's not to say your issues could be a incredible run of bad luck with faulty motherboards too.
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
MOJOM@N
MOJOM@N's PC Specs

here is more info.

By sadcat1
Dumo, I too had a 680i board that worked. The first one. (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=640644) I killed it by chipping a corner of the nb when putting on a water block. I did not return it, my fault. I have since had three more from Compusa and I can tell they were/are defective. Two in a row would not accept memory in the right side slots. I even bought new Muskin Redline thinking two in a row could not have the same problem. they did. The third, booted right up with memory in both blue slots. I thought I was home free. I adjusted the voltages and settings appropriate to my hardware,rebooted and I swear to Christ the thing died. The little yellow light above the blue light no longer comes on when you hit the power button. And yes Iv'e checked the power supply with a differtent mobo. Nothing will make this power up now. Hex code is "--". I tell this story to point out that, yes, your board works perfectly as the first one I had did. But do not take these stories of problems as "operator error". I can assure you I know what I'm doing. These boards have a variety of problems. P. S. Yes, I'm going to get a forth becuse I will never, ever give up. Bob
Old 24-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom

double ouch... maybe those users RMA'ing their memory can ask if the memory manufacturer i.e. corsair, gskill, ocz etc have tested their memory on eVGA 680i as well ?
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
MOJOM@N
MOJOM@N's PC Specs

By eva2000
double ouch... maybe those users RMA'ing their memory can ask if the memory manufacturer i.e. corsair, gskill, ocz etc have tested their memory on eVGA 680i as well ?
now that would be funny seeing corsair, gskill, ocz posting winge posts about the EVGA boards .
Old 24-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
RodneyJM
RodneyJM's PC Specs

Well, I'm glad I saw this thread, definately do not have plans to get this mobo for next rebuild.
RodneyJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
MOJOM@N
MOJOM@N's PC Specs

another report
By palese
What would you expect him to say? And for everyone saying incompatible ram then I guess any corsair ram that requires volts over 1.9 is incompatible then.

Set one- Corsair 8500C5D will boot but if set @ default 1066@2.2V= BSOD's, bios hanging:fact:

Set two- Corsair 6400C3DF one stick dead on first boot:fact: What troubles me with this set is there is not a boat load of them out there and the corsair rep stands behind its quality control on it:fact:

Yes I was able to RMA both and I will loose 65.00 dollars from newegg for the restocking fee on the 8500C5D:clap: But what the hell its only 1000.00 dollars in ram.

I can tell you this my ram will not see another 680i chip set:fact: At least not the current ones:fact:

The current reference 680i boards were rushed to market for the release of the 8800GTX and GS and for no other reason, come on people it was shipped with a beta bios

Oh yes the sound problem is real and evga has another beta bios to fix it but at a cost of performance:fact:

I can not afford to keep replacing:fact: expensive ram for the sake of being a beta tester for nvidia

I turned on my rig for the first time today and it would not boot into windows, everything stock and no OC, I had to reset the ram again this time EPP to get it to boot.
Old 25-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
MOJOM@N
MOJOM@N's PC Specs

EVGA's response.

Originally posted by EVGATECH_JacobF
[br]
Originally posted by linflas
[br]Anyone gotten a response from evga or nvidia about this?

Goddamn, if it is burning ram up, that is not good, I am down to just one quirk with board right now, the sata controller, but if it is killing ram, we need to know.

everest is showing my ram voltage just as I set it in the bios, 2.0, so not sure if it is reading ocrrect, hope it is not overvolting.

this is worrysome
No need to worry as this board does not fry memory modules.

This thread is the only report I have seen of this, from the many boards that have been sold. As you can see the 680i is quite a popular board.

As for the original poster, I suspect either bad ram, or a possibly faulty board, also keep in mind that I believe he was overvolting his ram, running his ram at memory voltages higher than what they were intended for.

We have many different types of memory, and run them at different voltages. We run them for days, in various stress tests and have not come across any dead modules either.

Also, my personal memory in my sig has been running great for weeks, at 2.4v.

However, we will continue to test more memory modules for compatibility.

Thanks,