You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Telstra bigpond now has ADSL2 - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
SLi_dog
SLi_dog's PC Specs

Telstra bigpond now has ADSL2

Hi all,
Got a call from Telstra bigpond this morning letting me know they now have an ADSL2 service. Some plans are actually cheaper with ADSL2 than with the old ADSL ones. 'bout bloody time if you ask me.

See here:
http://my.bigpond.com/internetplans/...ns/default.jsp

FYI, the guy on the phone this morning quoted the speeds as 20,000 KiloBYTES per second max speed. I also called up telstra just before to apply and was quoted the same incorrect download speed of 20 MegaBYTES per second . I tried to let them both know that this was incorrect and they should be carefull quoting such speeds but on both times that was met with a total lack of comprehension of what I was saying and a resentfull attitude.
Hey Telstra, right here buddy . I'm trying to help

They really have NFI, I can't believe that they have released a major service like this without a proper education campain to their staff. They are leaving themselves wide open to a huge volume of complaints and possibly legal charges for false advertising.

PS, not sure where this one is supposed to go eva so feel free to move it.

Last edited by SLi_dog; 10-11-2006 at 05:00 PM.
SLi_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
the _rick
the _rick's PC Specs

Re: Telstra bigpond now has ADSL2

someone else FTW!

megabits and megabytes is so easy to confuse when you first language is not english.

just looked at the plans, for what i'm on at the moment would cost nearly double, and would be slower (yay 23.2mbps sync)
the _rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
SLi_dog
SLi_dog's PC Specs

By the _rick
someone else FTW!

megabits and megabytes is so easy to confuse when you first language is not english.

just looked at the plans, for what i'm on at the moment would cost nearly double, and would be slower (yay 23.2mbps sync)
Wow, that's cheap, who's that with?

I'm aware of the issue with bits and bytes but mr Joe Public might get rather pissed off when he finds out that the 20MBp/s service he was guaranteed only runs at 2.5MBp/s. It's still damn fast but not the service they are selling.

For a 500MB file (such as 3DMark06) it means a difference of 25secs (20MBp/s) versus 3mins 20secs (2.5MBp/s). That's compared to the old speed of 45mins (0.18MBp/s) though
Old 10-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
the _rick
the _rick's PC Specs

TPG and i'm very close to the exchange
the _rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
ZoKi
ZoKi's PC Specs

Crap plans, but about time
ZoKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
dinos22
dinos22's PC Specs

By SLi_dog
FYI, the guy on the phone this morning quoted the speeds as 20,000 KiloBYTES per second max speed. I also called up telstra just before and was quoted the same incorrect download speed of 20 MegaBYTES per second . I tried to let them both know that this was incorrect and they should be carefull quoting such speeds but on both times that was met with a total lack of comprehension of what I was saying and a resentfull attitude.
Hey Telstra, right here buddy . I'm trying to help

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!
dinos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
Jammer
Jammer's PC Specs

Sustained speeds of ADSL2 still can't keep up with cable AFAIK. And Telstra for an ISP??? Thanks but no thanks.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
SLi_dog
SLi_dog's PC Specs

By Jammer
Sustained speeds of ADSL2 still can't keep up with cable AFAIK. And Telstra for an ISP??? Thanks but no thanks.
You're probably right Jammer and that's great for all those who live in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane (EDIT: Sorry, forgot Canberra and Tasmania).

In Darwin we only stopped using carrier pigeons last year. They were replaced by some new fangled invention called the "telegraph" .

I'm happy paying $10 less a month for 14 times the speed The only other choice is iinet who are the same price.