You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
DICE / LN2 tube by Kayl - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
T_M
T_M's PC Specs

DICE / LN2 tube by Kayl

As seen here: http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=1806
And for sale here: http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=3060

I recieved one of these unit today in the mail, and wasted no time in seeing what these Aussie designed and built tubes were all about.

Packaging:

Arriving in the mail via express post, the content were not in a box, just bubble wrapped and snuggly fit into a prepaid bag:

Enclosed within was the tube, and all necessary mounting and insulation gear for a well stocked setup.

- tube
- backing plate
- mounting plate
- plastic mounting ring
- hold down bolts
- insulation tubing
- double sided insulation tape
- insulation mat

So, how does this tube compare to the renowned Mousepot by Jason (aka MickeyMouse)?

Kayl = ~400g
Mousepot (2") = ~900g

Dimensions:
See for yourself!

Results:
TBA

T_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
T_M
T_M's PC Specs

Installation

Starting at the back, i tried to install the supplied backing plate (with a foam sheet between).

First thing i found was that the backing plate covered one of the motherboard mounting holes (see below), meaning that hole was rendered useless (not a big issue) unless i modified the plate myself.

Second and bigger issue i found was that the holes drilled in the backing plate didnt line up with the s939 holes meaning i couldn't even use the backing plate
Thankfully the hold down plate for the other side had correctly spaced holes.
Theres a photo showing the difference between the back and hold down plate holes.

I ended up deciding to use the Mousepot backplate (which also dictated that i use the hold down bolts too)

Turning the board over, i cut out and applied one layer of the supplied foam mat so that i would get a nice cosy fit against the tube insulation, and also provide a little bit off buffer for my naked FX-57 chip

I then set about installing the tube (using the Mousepot bolts and nuts etc).
Note the flex in the hold down plate - probably a bit too thin material.
Another problem i found (same as with Mousepot) is that the supplied insulaiton for the tube is so thick that it does not fit between the holddown bolts and the tube, meaning I had to tear out the insulation in those spots to make it thin enough (refer pic).

Last edited by T_M; 05-09-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:03 AM   #3
T_M
T_M's PC Specs

Results - Day 1

So i grabbed myself 2kg of DICE pellets on the way home from work ($8).
Enough to fill a 6 pack sized esky and bench for a few hours.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves at this stage

-49C Idle Running at my normal volts and clocks (for water)

First Boot, into Benching Drive @ ~3650MHz

Idle Temp at benching Volts

Load Temp at Benching Volts (only at 2M though)

New 1M PB

New 8M PB

http://i4mark.teknetixx.com/Kayl-Tub...Tube%20045.avi

Last edited by T_M; 05-09-2006 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
T_M
T_M's PC Specs

Reserved 3

Reserved 3
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Jammer
Jammer's PC Specs

Re: DICE / LN2 tube by Kayl

Awesome article TM! Gives nubs like me an idea on how to go about DICE. Excellent work mate.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
dinos22
dinos22's PC Specs

damn it my records are going down

looking forward to 19M 32M SuperPI ..................will be easy at those speeds

Last edited by dinos22; 05-09-2006 at 11:18 AM.
dinos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
T_M
T_M's PC Specs

Heh, i had 32M fall over several times half way thru at 1am last night so gave up. Was trying it at ~3650-3660MHz.
Overall im quite happy with the performance of this tube, aside from the little installation problems i encountered.

Oh yeah, i also found out what those weird temp problems were that I was having in the other thread, ill post in that thread what it was.

Max screenshot last night was something like 3850MHz, so no real improvement there, yet....

Oh yeah, and just to show you how easy to use this gear is, this entire thread was generated, photos editted, forums surfed, emails read, were all done on the last remnants of the DICE i had left. It still held -49C at 24/7 volts/clocks until i turned off with the tube almost empty (a shot of acetone and about a small handful of DICE)

Last edited by T_M; 05-09-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
kayl
kayl's PC Specs

Nice results there Tim, thanxs for doing that review, and nice chatting to ya last night hey.
Few Pbís hey, good to hear the tube keeps up with the mouse pot and at a fraction of the cost. The cost of doing a solid cooper tube is insane specially at todays copper prices.
I know for my phase change coolers I use the back plate a little different to you. mobo, insulation then pc case then backplate. I drilled holes through the side of my case and pass the bolts through that. Ill have to make future back plates smaller when I get them cut.
But of course Ln2 tubs donít work well in a tower case.
Did you uses those 10mm nylon spacers, ya should be able to use 2 sheets on the back and the nylon spacers stop the foam from crushing. I need to get some 6mm ones though for my case, that or use 10mm stand offs to mount my mobo to.
Also if ya were to use that sticky back tape wrap once aroun the tube at very top and above the hold down plate it would make it air tight seal to the insulation solving that issue we talked about last night of the insulation being a tiny bit bigger than the tube.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote