You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Possible solution to some Rampage III extreme memory problem - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 24-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
E46Johnny
E46Johnny's PC Specs

Possible solution to some Rampage III extreme memory problem

When i was looking at some youtube videos this evening, i came over a video from Linus Tech Tips.

It was a bout 24GB ram detect problem that he had on the rampage 3 extreme.

Video #1 the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CIsUdwEOwQ&feature=fvw

Video #2 the solution : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AOyl...eature=channel

The actual article that gave a hint of the solution that help this case.

Some cut & paste from the article.

Installation and Setup:

Although the motherboard we used for testing - the ASRock X58 Supercomputer, claims to be able to handle 24GB of DDR3, it's not as simple as plugging in the memory and having everything work properly. By default the system would only detect 16GB of memory until we enabled the "Flexibility Option" in the BIOS. When this was enabled we are now able to see all 24GB of memory.

Link to the article: http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php...8185&Itemid=40

The so called "Flexibility Option" in the BIOS, Is called "Memory configuration Protect" in the Rampage 3 extreme bios.

This might also help on other "newer Intel based motherboards" when the voltage tweaks is not solving the problem, But this bios tweak option probably only exists on the moor advanced motherboards.

Hope this might help some with their ram detect problems.

Last edited by E46Johnny; 24-09-2010 at 09:39 AM.
E46Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Brama
Brama's PC Specs

Question

By E46Johnny View Post
When i was looking at some youtube videos this evening, i came over a video from Linus Tech Tips.

It was a bout 24GB ram detect problem that he had on the rampage 3 extreme.

The so called "Flexibility Option" in the BIOS, Is called "Memory configuration Protect" in the Rampage 3 extreme bios.

This might also help on other "newer Intel based motherboards" when the voltage tweaks is not solving the problem, But this bios tweak option probably only exists on the moor advanced motherboards.

Hope this might help some with their ram detect problems.

I don't understand how the "Memory configuration Protect" in R3E can solve the issue as this setting is locking the memory space when ENABLED and unlocks it when DISABLED. It is used to set in Windows the memory latencies with programs like CPU-Tweaker.
Brama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
E46Johnny
E46Johnny's PC Specs

By Brama View Post
I don't understand how the "Memory configuration Protect" in R3E can solve the issue as this setting is locking the memory space when ENABLED and unlocks it when DISABLED. It is used to set in Windows the memory latencies with programs like CPU-Tweaker.
As i said, i just came over the tips when i was watching some youtube videos of the R3E board.

And sins it did help Linus with his problem, i tough it could be nice to share the info with the members of this forum, sins there are a lot of questions about "not detecting" the right amount of ram going on in here.

I haven`t found out exactly how it woks yet, but if some have the info i would appreciate the contribution.
E46Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Brama
Brama's PC Specs

By E46Johnny View Post
As i said, i just came over the tips when i was watching some youtube videos of the R3E board.

And sins it did help Linus with his problem, i tough it could be nice to share the info with the members of this forum, sins there are a lot of questions about "not detecting" the right amount of ram going on in here.

I haven`t found out exactly how it woks yet, but if some have the info i would appreciate the contribution.
By sure it is appreciated.
Brama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
r4pt012
r4pt012's PC Specs

Hello,

I have been having this same problem since I've had my Asus Rampage II Extreme.

First off - full specs:
Asus R3E
Intel i7 950
3x2GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz CL8
GTX580
GTX275
Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU

This problems occurs EVERY morning without fail.

I boot - bam 4GB. (6GB detected in CPU-Z)

I power off and back on - bam 6GB as normal.

Any subsequent power ons / offs run 6GB.

Its only after leaving the PC off for an extended period of time (EG over an hour) that it boots with 4GB.

This happens regardless of the:
RAM Frequency I set (have tired from 1333MHz to 1755MHz)
QPI/DRAM Voltage (tried 1.2V to 1.375V)

I have reseated the CPU atleast 3 times.

I am unsure of what else to try...

Any help is appreciated.
r4pt012 is offline   Reply With Quote