You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Rampage III Extreme memory problem 6 to 4gb cold start - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 28-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
Squall
Squall's PC Specs

Rampage III Extreme memory problem 6 to 4gb cold start

Hi there, I must experience problems with my new i7 rig. System i7930, Rampage III Extreme and CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 @ 1600. After a Long Power down the BIOS only detect 4gb instead of 6 gb and cpu temp rise up around 132F. I tried really everything: Change board,Change settings,Test dimm one by one, Change dimm places, reseat cpu, Change cpu cooler tension. Set memory setting manually. Change Qpi/dram voltage. Result: nothing. Frustrated as I was, I turned my pc during a Boot up of the bios off and turned on instantly. Result: all 6 gb was detected without any changes to my settings (still xmp @ 1600) and temps low down around 96F. I tried this a severeal time with the same result. I use to think its power or construction issue because experience the problem only after a Long power off period. But now i'dont really know what to think.

Why did the BIOS detect the full RAM after a on off on procedure?

Sometimes at cold start i get this messages or issue:
-No keyboard detected
-Overclocking fail(But no overclocking yet)
-Light Blue screen on windows startup no classic Blue Screen of Death just a simple Light Blue screen with no message, freeze on that screen but hard drive light is blinking like a crazy.

Well thats my problem, so i hope somebody could point me to the light to fix this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Squall
Squall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom
hi Squall and welcome

besides tips at http://i4memory.com/ramdetect tried updating and playing with different bioses at http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-rampage...-thread-23814/ ?
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Squall
Squall's PC Specs

Thanks eva2000

I already update bios to 0901, and played with some different bioses at http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-rampage...-thread-23814/ but no luck.

Reading manual i found this interesting information in Chapter 2 page 30:

"LN2 Mode jumper (3-pin LN2) With LN2 mode activated, the ROG motherboard is optimized to remedy the cold-boot bug during POST at an extremely low temperature and help the system boot successful"

I was happy when i read this, i thought, finally found a solution to my problem but that super "LN2 Mode" is worthless "Do nothing, well not "LN2 MODE" is good for overheating". Or maybe i need to do something else to activate "LN2 MODE".

Somebody know about that "LN2 MODE" How activate??? Only changing the jumper just like the manual says?? i already tried changing jumper but nothing happen.

Hope somebody could give me some help.
Thanks in advance
Old 31-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
olnorton
olnorton's PC Specs

The LN2 mode is for a different sort of "cold boot bug".
It's for when you are using LN2 to cool your Cpu beyond -100C.
It won't help with memory detection.
The reason your on/off/on method works is because it is no longer a cold boot & the bios doesn't do a memory check on a warm boot.
olnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
Squall
Squall's PC Specs

By olnorton View Post
The LN2 mode is for a different sort of "cold boot bug".
It's for when you are using LN2 to cool your Cpu beyond -100C.
It won't help with memory detection.
The reason your on/off/on method works is because it is no longer a cold boot & the bios doesn't do a memory check on a warm boot.
Thanks olnorton.

Ok i understand "LN2 MODE" only works when cooling with liquid nitrogen and temps lower than -0C.

But what you mean with "the bios doesn't do a memory check on a warm boot" you mean my RAM is damaged and Bios doesn't do a memory check on a warm boot so on a warm boot all memory is detected??

Thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
olnorton
olnorton's PC Specs

By Squall View Post
But what you mean with "the bios doesn't do a memory check on a warm boot" you mean my RAM is damaged and Bios doesn't do a memory check on a warm boot so on a warm boot all memory is detected??

Thanks
Yes, on a cold boot, the bios tests the memory, & the amount that passes the test is reported. On a warm boot, no memory test is done & it reports the amount of memory it detects.
That doesn't mean your ram is damaged because it doesn't pass the post test.
It's a possibility, but incorrect memory or voltage settings are more likely, especially if you tested each stick individually & they all passed.

When you do a warm boot & all 6GB is detected, does it pass a test like LinX, memtest, or Prime95?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
Squall
Squall's PC Specs

By olnorton View Post
Yes, on a cold boot, the bios tests the memory, & the amount that passes the test is reported. On a warm boot, no memory test is done & it reports the amount of memory it detects.
That doesn't mean your ram is damaged because it doesn't pass the post test.
It's a possibility, but incorrect memory or voltage settings are more likely, especially if you tested each stick individually & they all passed.

When you do a warm boot & all 6GB is detected, does it pass a test like LinX, memtest, or Prime95?
Thanks olnorton

I already try boot using memory one by one, all boot but:

Memory 1 - Boot Fine, bios detected "No Keyboard" and light blue screen starting windows and freeze, hard drive working like a crazy "No classic blue death screen" , restart and everthing went fine.

Memory 2 - Wrong boot seems to be a set problem, reseating and everything went fine no problem.

Memory 3 - Everything fine, no problem.

On a worm boot with all 6GB detected, i'd test memory using metest86+ 5 passes around 6 hours with no error found.

olnorton what can i do now?? Any Advice?? Which one should be my next step to fix this problem??

Last edited by Squall; 02-09-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
olnorton
olnorton's PC Specs

I would test all available memory with Linx http://www.youwatched.com/datajay/linx(0.64).7z
If it passes that, I would say the problem is in the bios itself & not your memory or settings.
Have you tried switching to the 2nd bios & see if that does the same?