You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Phenom 2 955 motherboard choice - Page 4 - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 21-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #25
scottath
scottath's PC Specs

I shall see how much both are then on monday. as from what works supplier has said one of them has gone up (the non h i think) so it may work out.....

I can easily mount a 40mm fan to the NB whichever i get - look for a pic of my system about a month ago - 60mm fan on my ram + 3 40mm fans on the NB/mofets.....

It will be ordered when altech get stock in - which i hope to be monday/tuesday - so i will get it on wednesday (from work) or thursday (from another place) - depends on the price difference....

W7 not giving you a score???

My only issue withthe DFI board is the ram with my TRUE - i hope it fits.....
They are all crucial ballistix so normal height sticks.....

you ahve a TRUE and a picture to show me?
scottath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #26
cbjaust
cbjaust's PC Specs

By scottath View Post
I shall see how much both are then on monday. as from what works supplier has said one of them has gone up (the non h i think) so it may work out.....

I can easily mount a 40mm fan to the NB whichever i get - look for a pic of my system about a month ago - 60mm fan on my ram + 3 40mm fans on the NB/mofets.....

It will be ordered when altech get stock in - which i hope to be monday/tuesday - so i will get it on wednesday (from work) or thursday (from another place) - depends on the price difference....

W7 not giving you a score???

My only issue withthe DFI board is the ram with my TRUE - i hope it fits.....
They are all crucial ballistix so normal height sticks.....

you ahve a TRUE and a picture to show me?
Yeah have a read here re: PCMark05 - I think it is mostly the ATI drivers but the nVidia suffers from low 2D transparent windows score in Win 7 with Aero on, havent tried it with Aero off.

And yes, as a matter of fact I have a TRUE and PICS:

and

But, I also saw this: which is by Prolimatech for the Megahalem and PCCasegear has them for $15... I wonder if it will work with a TRUE without too much hassle?

But yes you can get away with the TRUE as long as you use regular height DIMMs but it is still really tight for the one closest to the socket. Note that airflow will be in the upward direction if you are using a tower case like I am.

I gave up and bought a Thermalright SI-128 SE because it would just fit over my G.Skill PI sinks.

The TRUE is in use on my test bench.

Cheers
cbjaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #27
scottath
scottath's PC Specs

Yeah - i saw that bracket....last hope thing i think.....

Can you maybe get a pic showing the clearance of the ram (like from the PSU side looking back) - the crucial sticks heatsinks are about at max 2mm higher than a normal stick - will the work?

PS - cable routing......hehe

Interesting with W7.....i'll try that maybe - will download pcmark sometime

I really hope my 8pin cable will reach around the back to the socket - it is a bit in the middle of nowhere there - so far down....
Old 22-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #28
cbjaust
cbjaust's PC Specs

I don't have those Team Darks in my box - but if the crucial spreaders are higher than them then it will be very very tight on that first DIMM but it will work even if it's not ideal.

Yeah, cable management - that's the best I can do but there is still space for airflow plus my case doesn't have a window. heh

The 8-pin shouldn't be a problem but remember also that you need two FDD power connectors either side of the top PCI slot - OK so they aren't totally necessary, but who wouldn't plug them in

The clearance with the SI-128 SE and the G.Skill PI heatspreaders looks something like this: (of course that RAM and cooler are on my DFI FXB at the moment.)

Have you got any pics of your case?

Cheers
Old 22-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #29
scottath
scottath's PC Specs

I'm at school so photobucket is blocked - but this one i found on google of my system....
I can get better ones later this arvo after school
This pic is about 5 months old

How have you got the extra floppys connecters? run under the backside - closest to the io of the gfx card etc?
It come with the floppy cables for the power also?
note - only 1 HD4870 in the pic.....

I ahve turned off some of the other fans now cause it was getting too loud - i'll get a new pic later this arvo for you.....
Those Pi ones actually touching - they look like it?
Old 22-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #30
cbjaust
cbjaust's PC Specs

By scottath View Post
I'm at school so photobucket is blocked - but this one i found on google of my system....
I can get better ones later this arvo after school
This pic is about 5 months old
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...h/P2280093.jpg

How have you got the extra floppys connecters? run under the backside - closest to the io of the gfx card etc?
It come with the floppy cables for the power also?
note - only 1 HD4870 in the pic.....

I ahve turned off some of the other fans now cause it was getting too loud - i'll get a new pic later this arvo for you.....
Those Pi ones actually touching - they look like it?
Yeah, the PI heatspreaders on the G.Skills are very close - put is this way, with the SI-128 SE bolted through the board there's no way they're gonna shake loose

As for how I've connected the two floppy connectors, see in the two pics of my case above, there is a white molex into which a black sleeved molex to two FDD is plugged which goes to the two spots on the board where the FDD power is. So no fancy under the board action there.

Photobucket is a loss for me here at work as well, I guess I'll bust out the laptop and the mobile phone to check the pics

i have here three Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550W and one Corsair HX550W power supplies here and each one comes with the aforementioned Molex to Two FDD power connector, and as far as I remember the power lead is not in the box...

Cheers

EDIT: after looking at your pic I would say that you better think about that megahalems bracket if you want to run a 38mm fan + a 38mm housing off the side of the TRUE. Got fans anyone! My case has 2 x 80mm fans at the front, 2 x 80mm at the back, 1 x 120mm in the PSU and one fan on the 4870 and one blowing on the PWM Heatsink.

Last edited by cbjaust; 22-05-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 22-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #31
scottath
scottath's PC Specs

lol - yeah i like my cooling.....
my TRUE dosent have the houseing thing - i bought it before they had that.
I can run 3gb for a bit if they dont fit it guess...
My HX-620 i just remmebered came with a 2*floppy converter thing also - so i can use that - it's black to so i can hide it.

Currently i'm running the top 2 fans, 1 rear, 1 front (for the cards) - 60mm on the ram and the 120*38 on the TRUE - that's it
Got to loud - used to be the same as running a normal 4870 at 39% fans speed - now is the same as running it at 23%

EDIT - i jsut found those same pics on your old OCAU thread.....lol

Last edited by scottath; 22-05-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 23-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #32
cbjaust
cbjaust's PC Specs

Yeah my TRUE is semi old school and didn't come with a fan housing, or fan. Which threads in OCAU did you find (hint - linkback)

Cheers