You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
[Techpowerup.com] Freescale Enters the Low-Cost Netbook Processor Business with i.MX515 ARM Processor - i4memory.com - different look at memory
i4memory.com - different look at memory
Home > Online > Reviews & News Online > [Techpowerup.com] Freescale Enters the Low-Cost Netbook Processor Business with i.MX515 ARM Processor
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
News
News Hound
News's PC Specs

[Techpowerup.com] Freescale Enters the Low-Cost Netbook Processor Business with i.MX515 ARM Processor

Even though almost all of the netbooks as we call them today are using Intel Atom processors as their main processor and if not they use VIA CPUs, Freescale, a third company, is moving in on this fastest-growing segment of the PC market. The company said on Monday it is planning on introducing a new chip for netbooks that are priced below $200. Freescale's i.MX515 processor will run on super low-cost netbooks only, that are created mainly to perform basic tasks such as accessing the Internet and running office applications, with no gaming or performance CAD involved. Moreover, the i.MX515 won't support any Microsoft Windows OS at all, which leaves the door open only for Linux. The main strenght of i.MX515 based on the Cortex-A8 core from ARM is its low power usage, which suggests extra long battery life of the machines equipped with this CPU. According to the company, the chip would allow a netbook with an 8.9-inch display to receive eight hours of battery life. Again, expect more information at CES 2009. There Freescale will showcase a working i.MX515-based netbook prototype made by Pegatron (ASUS spin-off company).

Source: Reuters

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote