You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Best Tool to Cut Fan Holes Etc - Page 2 - i4memory.com - different look at memory
Tags Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 31-08-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
alpha0ne
alpha0ne's PC Specs

By Kenetixx
Cant beat a dreml or a good quality hole saw for cutting
Only someone who has never used the right tool that was actually designed for this job could ever say that

Live on in blissfull ignorance if you must (not just you Ken, everyone here) but dont pass on that misguided ignorance to others by saying a dremel or hole saw is THE tool to use for cutting, because it is'nt, only butchers use hole saws and dremels then use the dremel to make the abortion of a cut look better , way to go

Oh and the same goes for jigsaws in most instances
alpha0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #10
DeNs
DeNs's PC Specs

By alpha0ne
Only someone who has never used the right tool that was actually designed for this job could ever say that

Live on in blissfull ignorance if you must (not just you Ken, everyone here) but dont pass on that misguided ignorance to others by saying a dremel or hole saw is THE tool to use for cutting, because it is'nt, only butchers use hole saws and dremels then use the dremel to make the abortion of a cut look better , way to go

Oh and the same goes for jigsaws in most instances
Umm, what? Blissful ignorance?

A holesaw when used on something like perspex is infinitely more useful than a dremel, which would be completely useless for a job like that. All tools have their downsides, but you're saying that the tools that are used by the majority of modders out there are only used by "butchers". Hmm...

If cutting out a simple hole or square with sheet metal or aluminium, if used right, a jigsaw can do the job in much less time than using cutting discs on a dremel. Dremels ARE a good tool to use if you don't have other tools at your disposal like a jigsaw or a holesaw, but I wouldn't by a long shot say that they're a miracle tool.

Who the hell needs a dremel to clean up a holesaw cut anyway!? Unless you f*ck something up REALLY badly with it, there's no need to do anything to it. The most recent cuts i've done on sheet metal with a dremel have turned out pretty clean, with only needing a small amount of filing afterwards. Each tool will do the job, IF you know what the hell you're doing.

Sigh.

---dens
DeNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 AM   #11
alpha0ne
alpha0ne's PC Specs

I am not talking about perspex, only steel

Is there any such thing as an 120mm hole saw ??, I think not, so ppl use a jigsaw

Can you use a jigsaw or holesaw on a case with mobo and everything else still in the case, I dont think so unless you want swarf all over your insides

If you have nothing else to use then ANYTHING will do the job

I've cut holes just using a drill and drill bit , though with a file/dremel you can still get a perfect job

I am simply stating that for steel the correct tool to use to cut a hole or cut a whole side out or even VERY delicate work that most would only think possible using a laser can be done faster, cleaner and easier using a set of WISS (M5 and M6), and before you ask, NO, I do not sell them nor am I being paid by anyone to make them look better than what 99.555% of modders have used for the last 15 years

They simply ARE the correct tool to use
Old 01-09-2005, 02:04 AM   #12
Kenetixx
Kenetixx's PC Specs

obvisouly you havent used a decent hole saw i am talking ones like i have that cost over $1200 for a set of 4?? It makes a big difference if you buy decent tools no kmart crap, there are 120mm hole saws but you r looking at around $700 for one which isnt really worth it to cut 2 holes in a case LOL
Kenetixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:46 AM   #13
alpha0ne
alpha0ne's PC Specs

No I have'nt and I doubt if more then a few % have either, you got one you can lend me for an extended period

I would kill for a fully set up workshop but like most I have to make the best out of very little and using tools like dremels. jigsaws etc cannot be done in your loungeroom (well at least most ) whereas WISS snips can be used anyware without any mess or swarf
Old 01-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #14
the _rick
the _rick's PC Specs

steel = oxy aceltyene

jigsaws are fine as long as you use the right blade, not something for wood/plastic. same goes for a hack saw.

there is a right tool for each job, and if you dont have it, a little care and patience and you can make do.

the one problem i have with the snips is getting a clean cut, and not stretching the surronding metal too much (may be due to the fact that i'm right handed and all my dad's snips are leftys)

i have made a cut as well(took forever) using lots of small drilled holes, joined up, then cleaned up with a file, probably one of the better jobs, but took half a day and my sanity.
the _rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #15
DeNs
DeNs's PC Specs

By alpha0ne
Is there any such thing as an 120mm hole saw ??, I think not, so ppl use a jigsaw
What the hell are you on? I've seen countless people use them overseas and here. the ideal size is closer to 110mm, as that's roughly the diameter of the fan blade area, not the whole casing.

The plain reason why people don't use 120MM holesaw pieces is because they cost so f*cking much. For a decent one you're looking at a lot of money and that's usually just for the saw. Not worth it if you're doing some simple fan holes.

The amount of people who even have access to laser cutting facilities or have the money to get a simple FAN HOLE cut is very low. It simply isn't worth it. You keep pushing forward the idea of "The right tool for the right job". A Jigsaw is good enough, and unless you're doing a f*cking elaborate design, it's absolutely fine.

Instead of just getting people to send off their stuff to a laser cutting place, wouldn't it be better to actually learn how to use tools like a dremel or a jigsaw, even if they may not be deemed by you to be "the right tool".

---dens
DeNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #16
alpha0ne
alpha0ne's PC Specs

Hey DeNs chill out m8

Most ppl including me dont have access and cant afford huge hole saws as you have stated, same with laser cutting...its just so darn expencive

A good jigsaw is fine too, anything if fine as long as you know how to use it, even snips take a bit of getting used to

All I am saying (and probably not as well as most could) is that is you are into modding and do a lot of it, maybe for your mates as well and have a spare $100 (about the price of a jigsaw ?), then the cleanest, easiest, fastest way to either cut a hole or a whole panel out to whatever shape you want or just to cut 1mm off the lip of a panel then a pair (left and right) of good Wiss or whatever is the best way to go about it

If you only have a jigsaw or a drill, fine

I did not start this thread with the intention of telling ppl what to use, only what is, if you have access or decide to buy, the most versatile tool available that is also the easiest ect ect as I previously stated