You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
AsusP6T6 WS Revolution/Intel i7 930 and a lot of newbie problems - i4memory.com - different look at memory

Notices

Old 13-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
tritochke
tritochke's PC Specs

AsusP6T6 WS Revolution/Intel i7 930 and a lot of newbie problems

hi all
this is a newbie thread, please keep that in mind
I've finally found a decent site to post this question/problem and to actually get some answers and learn something about OC-ing
my rig is :

ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution Mobo
IntelChipset : X58
ATI Radeon 5870 x x x

Intel i7 930 2.80GHZ Socket 1366 LGA

Mushkin Enhanced Redline ( 3 x 2gb / 6 all ) 991805 Max Bandwith : PC3-107OOH ( 667 MHZ )

my BIOS is updated to latest version, I've just checked
now, let me just explain a bit the history of the problems I have with this rig in particular.
I've never had any intentions of OC-ing any of these components in the first place, just to point that out. ( in my head I was quite happy with the BIOS setting on stock, or so I thought )

After a successful installation of each individual component ( I'm talking about the time I bought the config, back in 2009/2010 not sure ) and then installing the Win7 OS on it, first problem I've encountered was related to I think outdated BIOS version which I've instantly and easily fixed ( now it's 0905 ), ( BIOS is still set to auto during this time ), but nonetheless system would freeze during start up and lock every option possible, so only hard reset ( and sometimes even CMOS reset ) was needed.
after an endless struggle across the vast internet sea of forums of which some are really outdated and trying to figure out the root of my problem I've managed to get my hands on the similar but not the same O.C profiles for my Asus WS with that CPU unit, and I took the easy way out, typed already tested values and hoped for the best,
but the same problem occurred some months after that, in fact I think one year actually past with no errors at all, maybe occasional bump here and there but no freeze loops like before.
Now, my system is utterly unstable again.
Every time I start the system, a really strange /loud noise comes from the case and my system won't boot, or even show the BIOS startup window. I need to hard reset it several times to get it beeping and entering to BIOS before I can continue with Win7 startup and it usually enters after that but after a few minutes goes cold and freezes.
During these few last weeks, and many forum threads about my Mobo and CPU unit, I've come to conclusion I need to learn a bit more about my config, and set my BIOS accordingly to actually get a stable and usable system out of this pretty expensive rig. why?
well, from that time I copy/pasted someone else's O.C. profile to my own BIOS, my system managed to get a stable one year run, so I'd like to learn more about the bios settings and to actually understand the reasons for their adjustment.
( p.s.Run on IntelBurnTest or any type of Bench results in almost instant freeze )

now, since I have no OC experience, I'll post my BIOS here with everything set to Auto ( stock values ) and If there is someone who can guide me trough each option and generally explain what it effects and why so that I can get some strategy for this rig, of course it would be a ideal.

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
0905 Bios Template

AI Tweaker
AI Overclock Tuner: AUTO
CPU Ratio Setting: AUTO
BCLK Frequency: AUTO
PCIE Frequency: AUTO
DRAM Frequency: AUTO
UCLK Frequency: AUTO
QPI Link Data Rate: AUTO

DRAM Timing Control
DRAM CAS Latency: AUTO
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay : AUTO
DRAM RAS# PRE Time: AUTO
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: AUTO
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay: AUTO
DRAM REF Cycle Time: AUTO
DRAM WRITE Recovery Time: AUTO
DRAM READ to PRE Time: AUTO
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time: AUTO
DRAM Back-To-Back CAS# Delay: AUTO

DRAM Timing Mode: AUTO
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHA: AUTO
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHB: AUTO
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHC: AUTO

DRAM WRITE To READ Delay(DD): AUTO
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay(DR): AUTO
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay(SR): AUTO
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DD): AUTO
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DR): AUTO
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (SR): AUTO
DRAM READ To READ Delay(DD): AUTO
DRAM READ To READ Delay(DR): AUTO
DRAM READ To READ Delay(SR): AUTO
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay(DD): AUTO
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay(DR): AUTO
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay(SR): AUTO

CPU Voltage: AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage: AUTO
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: AUTO
IOH Voltage: AUTO
IOH PCIE Voltage: AUTO
ICH Voltage: AUTO
ICH PCIE Voltage: AUTO
DRAM Bus Voltage: AUTO
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA: AUTO
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA: AUTO
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB: AUTO
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB: AUTO
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC: AUTO
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC: AUTO
Load-Line Calibration: AUTO
CPU Differential Amplitude: AUTO
CPU Clock Skew: AUTO
CPU Spread Spectrum: AUTO
IOH Clock Skew: AUTO
PCIE Spread Spectrum: AUTO

CPU Advance Settings
C1E Support: AUTO
Hardware Prefetcher: AUTO
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetcher: AUTO
Intel (R) Virtualization Tech: AUTO
CPU TM Function: AUTO
Execute Disable Bit: AUTO
Intel (R) HT Technology: AUTO
Active Processor Cores: AUTO
A20M: AUTO
Intel (R) C-State Tech: AUTO
Express Gate: AUTO

thankyou all, I'll try to answer any question If presented, I'm not sure if this much information is enough, and of course I'm sry I my eng is to bad.
Thankyou!
tritochke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
GenAn
GenAn's PC Specs

Auto should run 100% stable. You didn't mention what power supply you are using, that could potentially be the culprit.
GenAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
ExilE
ExilE's PC Specs

Yeah I would have to say that too knowing what PSU you're running with your system may be able to help pinpoint the problem.
ExilE is offline   Reply With Quote