You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Frozen SS rev2: Dual head CPU + MCH/GPU - i4memory.com - different look at memory

Notices

Old 09-12-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
youngpro
youngpro's PC Specs

twitter.com/teamau
Thumbs up Frozen SS rev2: Dual head CPU + MCH/GPU

Evening all,

Id like to introduce to all of you a good friend of mine, the Frozen SS rev2!

kayl came to me with a vision, to revolutionize the way overclocking is done... okay so maybe its not that revolutionary but its preety cool.... with alot of emphasis being put on pushing fsb limits on these new core2 boards, i wanted a ss that was capable of pushing the mch aswell as the cpu further... cold mch = capable of more volts = more fsb = more overclock, perfect!

The idea of this dual head was that I could use the mch as a gpu block in the future, extra mounts were included with the unit so I can change the secondary head to suit my requirements at the time...

this units been built with the usual high standards weve all come to expect from kayl, he has chosen a 1/3hp compressor to handle the higher workload which i think is a great move, while a 1/4 could probably handle it, the 1/3 just gives that extra bit of grunt... kayl has done some testing on his prescott and come up with some figures,

BOOT TEMPERATURES
MCH HEAD: -15
CPU HEAD: -40

IDLE TEMPERATURES
MCH HEAD: -30
CPU HEAD: -38

LOAD TEMPERATURES (1 hour dual prime)
MCH HEAD: -34
CPU HEAD: -33

When the CPU is loaded, and producing higher temperatures, the mch head seems to even out and get a bit colder... I'd suspect this would be a result of the higher heat produced therefor its easier for the cold to get to the other head than to the hotter (CPU) head.

A gfroster controller unit has been installed, this gives me functionality of reading fairly accurate temperatures aswell as some degree of management/monitoring from within windows, which is a feature i like to have when required...

I fired the unit up quickly tonight to have a look, I let it run for ten minutes in a hot room (30 degrees ambient) and tested both coldhead temperatures (not connected to a pc), my readings were -20 for NB head and -26 for CPU head, Id suspect these readings would be quite a bit different when mounted on a CPU and suction is present (kayl correct me if im wrong)...

I've taken a comparison shot against my vapochill LS, I couldnt be bothered pulling my LS out for a side by side comparison but the frozen ss is considerably bigger than my vapochill.. if you look at the vapochill case its *very* similar to what kayls new cases look like, although i quite like the feel of the current frozen ss case..

I'll hopefully get this unit on something on sunday, I might started with a opteron + sli-dr expert until I get the hang of it, then move onto core2...

cheers pro

(Sorry all for bad quality photos, this is the only digicam I've got access to)
youngpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #2
SLi_dog
SLi_dog's PC Specs

Re: Frozen SS rev2: Dual head CPU + MCH/GPU

sic mate, sic

Can't wait to see how it goes. I'm amazed you can wait till Sunday, I'd have it installed before I could get it out of the packing box

I'd grab some liquid electrical tape from jaycar to paint around the motherboard cooling areas and some di-electric grease for the core2duo 775 socket, just in case. No doubt kayl set you up with plenty of insulating stuff though

PS, I like your multimeter

Is this you in the picture bro?

Last edited by SLi_dog; 09-12-2006 at 05:31 AM.
SLi_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #3
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom

awesome stuff..

What board/cpu you're testing with ? one in sig ? I expect some new hwbot contributions to the i4memory.com hwbot team
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
SLi_dog
SLi_dog's PC Specs

Phase the board and water cool the gfx cards. You could set some real nice benchmarks there youngpro
SLi_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
youngpro
youngpro's PC Specs

twitter.com/teamau
Thumbs up Re: Frozen SS rev2: Dual head CPU + MCH/GPU

By SLi_dog
sic mate, sic

Can't wait to see how it goes. I'm amazed you can wait till Sunday, I'd have it installed before I could get it out of the packing box

I'd grab some liquid electrical tape from jaycar to paint around the motherboard cooling areas and some di-electric grease for the core2duo 775 socket, just in case. No doubt kayl set you up with plenty of insulating stuff though

PS, I like your multimeter

haha nah thats my 10 year old sister, my overclocking partner, holding them up for the photo..

yeah ive got some of that jaycar paint (used with my kayl dice tube) ill probably paint around my sli-dr socket and nb area with it, kayl also includes that bubble gum like rubber that you can stick over any low components that comes in really handy...

mate if i didnt have commitments with clients all weekend id be cranking it up, ive made sure ive got time (in amongst a server 2003 rebuild) on sunday to have a bit of a play with it

actually sli i saw you using that multimetre down way past the box specifications, or else i probably would of bought one of those dual temperature units kayl has, its a good unit though

By eva2000
awesome stuff..

What board/cpu you're testing with ? one in sig ? I expect some new hwbot contributions to the i4memory.com hwbot team
thats the idea, ill be using my 6600 and p5b deluxe, but what im really waiting for is the dfi rd600 that board looks nice, but ill give it a go in my p5b, maybe even grab something else, but first i need better ram (cellshock if i could get my hands on it) and a hipro maximizer...
Old 10-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
youngpro
youngpro's PC Specs

twitter.com/teamau

i thought evas idea of an independant psu to power test water cooling + fans was a great idea so i decided to just do a little rig of my own,

i just grabbed a 150w micro atx power supply, a switch and a variable resistor,

i thought having the ability to change the voltage on my 12v rail would come in handy for adjusting fan speed/water pump push rates, so i connected one of the two 12v rails to a variable resistor and mounted it inside the psu casing, my 12v range is now 12v down to 2.75v.. a nice wide range to accomodate whatever i might be powering (although i doubt ill ever use anything below 5v)

i had to adjust the fan size from 80mm to 60mm to accomodate the new parts id installed in the psu, seems to work fine, time will tell..

Old 10-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
T_M
T_M's PC Specs

please keep an eye on the heat output of tha VR, i'd hate to hear of your house catching fire
T_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
youngpro
youngpro's PC Specs

twitter.com/teamau

time for some insulation,

i was going to do the goopy liquid electrical tape method, but i decided to go with the bluetak like substance that kayl included in both his kayl dice tube and frozen ss kits,

as you can see in this blurry photos, ive covered the whole area around both the cpu and nb with it, then after ill put foam insulation over the front and back of the mobo to create my airtight seal...