You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
[] TRIM & RAID-0 SSD Arrays Work With Intel 6-Series Motherboards Too - - different look at memory

Old 29-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
News Hound
News's PC Specs
[] TRIM & RAID-0 SSD Arrays Work With Intel 6-Series Motherboards Too

A few months ago, Intel brought TRIM support to RAID-0 SSD arrays but limited it to its latest 7-series chipsets. As 7 and 6-series chipsets are very similar, there was no good explanation to why Intel didn't include support for 6-series chipsets other than forced feature differentiation and/or not wanting to go through a lengthy validation process on an older platform. We have covered the reasons why you should want TRIM in the past but the main benefits are obvious: more consistent performance and higher endurance. Limiting the support to only 7-series chipsets was a huge letdown.

Fortunately the Internet is full of extremely knowledgeable and ethusiastic people with the drive to look for unofficial solutions. AnandTech forum members Dufus and Fernando 1 have been able to modify the RAID OROM so that TRIM and RAID-0 SSD arrays now work with at least Z68 and P67 chipsets, both of which are unsupported by the official OROM. While the forum thread is already full of posts showing that the modification works, I wanted to try it myself and to see how smooth the process was.

Read on for my findings and complete instructions for the modification.

News is offline   Reply With Quote

6series, anandtechcom, arrays, intel, motherboards, raid0, ssd, trim, work