You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
digital vmod circuit with push buttons not multiturn trimpots (anyone interested?) - i4memory.com - different look at memory

Notices

Old 23-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
muzwa kai
muzwa kai's PC Specs

digital vmod circuit with push buttons not multiturn trimpots (anyone interested?)

hey guys, im currently researching/designing a 'vmod box' (for lack of a better term) which will allow voltmodding with a digital potentiometer, with push buttons instead of a multiturn trimpot. a digital potentiometer really. just trying to track down the appropriate IC's. it will have two buttons, one for decreasing resistance and one for increasing resistance. there are varying 'step' numbers between IC's. up to 257 different resistances per IC. i can have two vmod controls per IC. it should be a pretty simple circuit. the hardest part im thinking of doing is adding a voltmeter to the circuit. 3 digits displaying the voltage in 8.88v format. two decimal places. it would eliminate the need for a multimeter. not essential, but handy for constant monitoring.
so i should have the resistance circuit complete in a few weeks. still getting my head around the analogue to digital converter with display driver for the voltmeter though.
just wondering who would be interested in a circuit diagram for the digital potentiometer/variable resistor, and anyone who has ideas for stuff to include in the circuit.
for voltmodding, it will still require soldering a wire to the FB pin on the voltage regulator chip, and a ground connection. also a wire soldered to the read point for the voltmeter. but will allow adjustments to voltage without having a screwdriver poking around the motherboard/videocard. im just doing this for fun, and i will certainly make use of it. just wondering who else would want to make one.

muz
muzwa kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
muzwa kai
muzwa kai's PC Specs

just wanted to mention, there are different ic's to slot in, either for 10k ohms, 50k ohms, or 100k ohms. either one IC for 2x 10k or 2x 50k or 2x 100k. or two ic's for 10k and 50k at the same time etc.
Old 24-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
muzwa kai
muzwa kai's PC Specs

also i should be able to power the circuit from a 4-pin molex plug, the 5v wire
Old 25-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
muzwa kai
muzwa kai's PC Specs

i found the IC's i need for the digital potentiometer. may take a week or so to get them
Old 26-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Uncle Fester
Uncle Fester's PC Specs

Hi mate its a great idea but unfortunatly i think cost will out weigh practicality, manual trim pot for 50c vs digital would be how much roughly ????
Uncle Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
muzwa kai
muzwa kai's PC Specs

probably about $25 bucks. i plan on making one probably to use on different cards, just with the connecting wires soldered on. i figured in would be impractical for most, but i like to do an electronics project every now and then. last week i was trying to figure out a circuit i could make for something to use with overclocking. this is what i came up with. thought i might as well share the circuit diagram when i finish it. ill probably make one on a small breadboard like this http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...d&form=KEYWORD
to save making a circuit board.
im just doing this for fun, and it will be something i can use
Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
muzwa kai
muzwa kai's PC Specs

ok so this is basically what it will look like (dvi adapter for size comparison)

only one chip plugged in on the right socket. circuit board there too (not gonna use breadboard). i thought i might as well make it in a box. was gonna do some more soldering today but my soldering iron died. sockets on top for easy changing between resistance values. only have two 10Kohm atm. two 50K and one 100K coming next week. should just be a matter of soldering together now. will control two voltmods. power through the red and black on top left. vmod wire in top middle speaker plugs. no ground wire soldering necessary as i will ground both mods through the power plug. a 4 pin molex plug with two wires removed. also switch on top right with red LED.
voltmods controlled by red and black push buttons on either side of chips. red = voltage increase, black = voltage decrease.
anyhoo, getting another soldering iron tomorrow to solder all components together.

Last edited by muzwa kai; 08-07-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
muzwa kai
muzwa kai's PC Specs

i might make the top two middle black connectors for voltage read point inputs, and put two things on where the multimeter probe can sit in. probably just like the power inputs. a probe sits in there nicely