You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Asus P6X58-E + 12GB Corsair GT Kit - Page 4 - i4memory.com - different look at memory

Notices

Old 16-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #25
Jim82
Jim82's PC Specs

Hi andreaplanet

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone

What I found interesting is that we have exactly the same PSU! I have always loved Enermax for the power throughput and stability, but this PSU drives me nuts! The "after shutdown cooling feature" is really annoying and I can't help to think if the PSU is the culprit here. Have you tried another PSU in your system?

I have an old Enermax 465W that I will try in the nearest future. I'll keep this post up to date with latest findings.

Thanks
Jim
Jim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #26
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom
Yeah psu can factor into this so definitely worth trying
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 04:09 AM   #27
andreaplanet
andreaplanet's PC Specs

This is odd.... Unfortunately the PSU was the only item I recovered from my previous build so I don't have another one to test. I have the first version of that PSU (without the HeatGuard feature i.e. "after shutdown cooling feature").

Did you upgraded the BIOS to version 0303? I noticed that for example the suggested XMP settings where different after upgrade, it suggest QPI 1.4v (my RAM is specified to operate at 1.35v). In any case I have no news at the moment, still 10G at cold boot.

Thanks
Andrea
andreaplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #28
Jim82
Jim82's PC Specs

By andreaplanet View Post
This is odd.... Unfortunately the PSU was the only item I recovered from my previous build so I don't have another one to test. I have the first version of that PSU (without the HeatGuard feature i.e. "after shutdown cooling feature").

Did you upgraded the BIOS to version 0303? I noticed that for example the suggested XMP settings where different after upgrade, it suggest QPI 1.4v (my RAM is specified to operate at 1.35v). In any case I have no news at the moment, still 10G at cold boot.

Thanks
Andrea
Same here, but I have a and old Enermax which I'll try soon. I did upgrade my BIOS to 0303, but I had the same problems with the factory default one

/Jim
Old 19-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #29
TeamWahoo
TeamWahoo's PC Specs

Guys, you certainly are not alone. I built my system about 2 month ago and have the identical problem. Jim82, in your first post you described the problem exactly as it occurs for me. It's as if the memory is not getting enough of a charge to activate the full 12 gb during the initial boot. I figured out that a restart directly after the post would result in all 12 gb being seen. It's interesting that CPUz64 sees all 12gb even when I don't restart the system at post (i.e. only 8gb registers).

I'm using G.Skill PI series ram that was not listed on the QVL, but several comments on Newegg indicated that it ran just fine on the Asus P6X58-E.

I just ran CPUz and it is reporting "Channels #: Dual" under the Memory tab. Is it telling me that it sees the ram as dual channel??? This is supposed to be triple channel according to Newegg's description and on the packaging it came in.

I've read all sorts of possible solutions from loosening the CPU cooler, swapping DIMMs around, to replacing the PSU (mine is a Corsair 850), CPU (i7 930), MOBO and/or RAM. I have not replaced any parts...yet.

I will say that the system recognized 10gb consistently until I upgraded the BIOS to 0303. Then it started reading only 8.

By Jim82 View Post
Hi andreaplanet

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone

What I found interesting is that we have exactly the same PSU! I have always loved Enermax for the power throughput and stability, but this PSU drives me nuts! The "after shutdown cooling feature" is really annoying and I can't help to think if the PSU is the culprit here. Have you tried another PSU in your system?

I have an old Enermax 465W that I will try in the nearest future. I'll keep this post up to date with latest findings.

Thanks
Jim
TeamWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #30
andreaplanet
andreaplanet's PC Specs

By TeamWahoo View Post
Guys, you certainly are not alone. I built my system about 2 month ago and have the identical problem. Jim82, in your first post you described the problem exactly as it occurs for me. It's as if the memory is not getting enough of a charge to activate the full 12 gb during the initial boot. I figured out that a restart directly after the post would result in all 12 gb being seen. It's interesting that CPUz64 sees all 12gb even when I don't restart the system at post (i.e. only 8gb registers).

I'm using G.Skill PI series ram that was not listed on the QVL, but several comments on Newegg indicated that it ran just fine on the Asus P6X58-E.

I just ran CPUz and it is reporting "Channels #: Dual" under the Memory tab. Is it telling me that it sees the ram as dual channel??? This is supposed to be triple channel according to Newegg's description and on the packaging it came in.

I've read all sorts of possible solutions from loosening the CPU cooler, swapping DIMMs around, to replacing the PSU (mine is a Corsair 850), CPU (i7 930), MOBO and/or RAM. I have not replaced any parts...yet.

I will say that the system recognized 10gb consistently until I upgraded the BIOS to 0303. Then it started reading only 8.
So, after a Reboot (turn off and on the PC) you will see all 12 GB?
It's curious, if the systems recognize your RAM as Dual Channel then the 8 GB report is "consistent" (2/3 of 12GB = 8GB).
I noticed after the BIOS upgrade that the XMP Profile is different, which BIOS settings are you using? Did you tried (nearly) everything manual?

Next test I want to do is to turn ON at cold boot for less than a second, then turn OFF (through power switch) and ON again. Just to exclude the possibility that few seconds of ON will heat the CPU enough to recognize all 12GB at the next reboot. After a few seconds the temperature inside the CPU raise enough to influence the RAM detection. But I don't think it's a thermal problem.

Then I want to find out after how many hours after turning OFF the system a reboot will recognize again 10GB instead of 12GB.
andreaplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #31
Jim82
Jim82's PC Specs

Yesterday I had my first crash! I was playing Battlefield, when my screen turned black with some odd flickering in the top. PC rebooted and showed only 10GB RAM in BIOS. Of course I was running with 12GB RAM when PC crashed.

This occured after 2-3 hours of non-stop of gaming, just FYI.

/Jim
Old 20-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #32
TeamWahoo
TeamWahoo's PC Specs

By andreaplanet View Post
So, after a Reboot (turn off and on the PC) you will see all 12 GB?
It's curious, if the systems recognize your RAM as Dual Channel then the 8 GB report is "consistent" (2/3 of 12GB = 8GB).
I noticed after the BIOS upgrade that the XMP Profile is different, which BIOS settings are you using? Did you tried (nearly) everything manual?

Next test I want to do is to turn ON at cold boot for less than a second, then turn OFF (through power switch) and ON again. Just to exclude the possibility that few seconds of ON will heat the CPU enough to recognize all 12GB at the next reboot. After a few seconds the temperature inside the CPU raise enough to influence the RAM detection. But I don't think it's a thermal problem.

Then I want to find out after how many hours after turning OFF the system a reboot will recognize again 10GB instead of 12GB.
That is correct, after the post beep I power off and right back on. It will show all 12gb as long as I am using the system and during subsequent restarts through out the day. It also shows that I'm using triple channel memory!

When I shutdown for the night and then restart the next day, I'm back to 8gb. I don't know how long it has to sit before it stops seeing 12gb on boot up. If I let it run with only 8gb registering, it shows that I'm running DUAL channel memory!?!

I do know that I can't push the start button, then hit the reset and expect to see 12gb.
I also tried your cold boot power up, power down and back up, but no luck seeing 12.
TeamWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote