You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!
Asus X58 + 6/12GB memory overclocking - detecting less memory than installed - Page 18 - i4memory.com - different look at memory

Notices

Old 19-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #137
KudGray
KudGray's PC Specs

Hello,

It's not exactly the subject but maybe you could help me as you seem to be a bunch of great guys.

First of all, my spec:

- Intel i7 920
- Corsair TX750
- Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9
- XFX HD5970

and some stuff.

The thing is sometimes (but really sometimes, it's not often, it's like 1/15 times), I have coldboot. I boot the pc and I've nothing on the screen. I'm sure, it's not the screen itself as I have tested another screen during the bug and it's the same. I just have to reset to have everything fine.

Since I use the XMP profile for the memory, I have less and less coldboot but still have. So I'd like to know what should I configure in my bios.

Let's see what we currently have:

Do you see anything weird?

Thank you anyway!

_kud
KudGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 02:32 AM   #138
Beevster
Beevster's PC Specs

Hello guys, I've been struggling with this problem for sometime now I've read a LOT about this problem, and still i cant get my head around a fix. Here's my list of events so far...

I bought an asus rampage ii extreme Its worked fine for a few days, then it wouldn't post boot, so i RMA the board, anyway this was taking months to sort out due to bad company policies, so i bought another Rampage ii extreme.

I installed the bored an all my other equipment and booted it up, it only read 2 or 4 gig or ram, i played around with X.M.P and that didn't help, i also tried to set the values manually as advised in the opening post, still only reading 2-4 gig of ram in dual Chan mode.

I run CPU-z and it shows 6 gig of ram. but only working in dual chan mode i tried each ram on its own, and its all working fine in single chan mode.

So i thought my best option was to buy some more ram so i did i got 3 more strips of the same ram Corsair CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 6GB Dominator 6 gig total.
I put this in but it would only read 4 gig of ram (cpu-z says dual chan mode), my friend suggested that i try a totally different brand of ram just to test, so i went on the crucial website and did the auto detect ram for my system, and it recommended the best ram for me was CRUCIAL BALLISTIX BL25664BN1608.Z16F63 1600MHz 1.65v, i put these in still same issue..

So i waited for my other board to return from RMA...

Its came back and i installed the board, only to have the exact same problem, so i asked for a refund.

I put the other board back in and still same problem, so i decided to buy a different CPU cooler, I went for the Zalman CNPS 10x, now this is where it gets weird, i booted the system and it Read's 6 gig (in triple chan mode), i put in the other 6 gig of Corsair (TR3X6G1600C8D) 6GB and it shows 12gig (on a cold boot in triple chan mode)

Now this works when i boot my PC in the morning every time it shows the exact amount of ram that's in the board, now if i restart my PC after 10 mins or 6 hrs of gaming, it only reads 4 gig of the 6 gig in place or it reads 8 gig if 12 gig (both in dual chan mode)

Now i thought i would try running my PC all day on first boot up (6gig of ram triple Chan mode) it worked flawlessly day after day, but if for what ever reason i needed to boot my PC it reads 4 gig there on after until the PC has cooled down for a good few hours (over night)

Now last few days i thought i would try to overclock my CPU, to see if this helps with different settings. I tried

bclk 160 (3.2) CPU overclock speed
dram freq : ddr3 1282MHz

dram timings 8-8-8-24
CPU voltage 1.10000
dram bus voltage 1.64
load line calibration enabled
If i haven't mentioned anything its on default or auto.

Now no matter what boot i do hot or cold, its always reading 4 gig. i did a CPU stress test for 1 hr 100% load and it passed and never bsod or rebooted, temps was about 50-53 degrees, so no problems here

I then overclocked my CPU to 3.8
bclk 181
dram freq 1451
dram timings 8-8-8-24
CPU voltage 1.20000
dram bus voltage 1.64
load line enabled
everything else auto or default setting

run stress test for 1 hr 100% CPU load, temps reading 58-60 degrees no crashes or restarts. so CPU run fine, but still the mem was only reading 4 of the 6 gig in place.

So this not fixing the problem, i went into bios and set all the values i had changed back to the original settings. saved and restarted but only read 4 gig.

I went to bios again and went to the exit screen and load setup defaults saved and restarted, loaded 6 gig of ram (triple chan mode).

I restarted again, still reading 6 gig of ram (triple chan mode) which is so strange to me now i seem to be running in circles trying to locate this problem.

So my only thought now could it be a mem voltage issue remember i tried the settings set in the first post which didn't help me (maybe theres some additional values i need to enter for my certain type of ram)

my other worry is could it be the CPU mem controller not allowing enough voltage to my 3rd channel on the board hence it only reading 4 of the 6 slots. ( so maybe i need to enter another value for this to work with my memory)

I payed the extra money for an overclocking board but it seems like atm this board don't like to be over clocked, this is my last effort for a fix before i sell the board and am forced to buy a cheaper board, which i don't want to do

There has to be a setting somewhere that's not allowing my board to resume triple chan mode, and its just loading dual chan mode.

System parts: (only using 6 gig of the 18 gigs tested with)
Intel i7-920 (Bloomfield) Quad Core Processor - 2.66 GHz
Zalman CNPS10X-Quiet CPU Cooler
Corsair CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 6GB Dominator
Corsair (TR3X6G1600C8D) 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Crucial BL25664BN1608 PC1600 6GB Memory RAM
Antec TruePower Quattro 1200 - Power supply
Sapphire HD5970 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Beevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 02:46 AM   #139
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom
By KudGray View Post
Hello,

It's not exactly the subject but maybe you could help me as you seem to be a bunch of great guys.

First of all, my spec:

- Intel i7 920
- Corsair TX750
- Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9
- XFX HD5970

and some stuff.

The thing is sometimes (but really sometimes, it's not often, it's like 1/15 times), I have coldboot. I boot the pc and I've nothing on the screen. I'm sure, it's not the screen itself as I have tested another screen during the bug and it's the same. I just have to reset to have everything fine.

Since I use the XMP profile for the memory, I have less and less coldboot but still have. So I'd like to know what should I configure in my bios.

Let's see what we currently have:

[IMG]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7247/r1gfdgc1.jpg

Do you see anything weird?

Thank you anyway!

_kud
what motherboard ? tried suggestions and relevant link suggestions linked to in first post at http://i4memory.com/ramdetect/ ?

if Asus board try to use the bios setting format in sticky in this thread http://i4memory.com/f54/ to start a new thread with your bios settings you tried listed in bios template format alot with hardware used.

By Beevster View Post
Hello guys, I've been struggling with this problem for sometime now I've read a LOT about this problem, and still i cant get my head around a fix. Here's my list of events so far...

I bought an asus rampage ii extreme Its worked fine for a few days, then it wouldn't post boot, so i RMA the board, anyway this was taking months to sort out due to bad company policies, so i bought another Rampage ii extreme.

I installed the bored an all my other equipment and booted it up, it only read 2 or 4 gig or ram, i played around with X.M.P and that didn't help, i also tried to set the values manually as advised in the opening post, still only reading 2-4 gig of ram in dual Chan mode.

I run CPU-z and it shows 6 gig of ram. but only working in dual chan mode i tried each ram on its own, and its all working fine in single chan mode.

So i thought my best option was to buy some more ram so i did i got 3 more strips of the same ram Corsair CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 6GB Dominator 6 gig total.
I put this in but it would only read 4 gig of ram (cpu-z says dual chan mode), my friend suggested that i try a totally different brand of ram just to test, so i went on the crucial website and did the auto detect ram for my system, and it recommended the best ram for me was CRUCIAL BALLISTIX BL25664BN1608.Z16F63 1600MHz 1.65v, i put these in still same issue..

So i waited for my other board to return from RMA...

Its came back and i installed the board, only to have the exact same problem, so i asked for a refund.

I put the other board back in and still same problem, so i decided to buy a different CPU cooler, I went for the Zalman CNPS 10x, now this is where it gets weird, i booted the system and it Read's 6 gig (in triple chan mode), i put in the other 6 gig of Corsair (TR3X6G1600C8D) 6GB and it shows 12gig (on a cold boot in triple chan mode)

Now this works when i boot my PC in the morning every time it shows the exact amount of ram that's in the board, now if i restart my PC after 10 mins or 6 hrs of gaming, it only reads 4 gig of the 6 gig in place or it reads 8 gig if 12 gig (both in dual chan mode)

Now i thought i would try running my PC all day on first boot up (6gig of ram triple Chan mode) it worked flawlessly day after day, but if for what ever reason i needed to boot my PC it reads 4 gig there on after until the PC has cooled down for a good few hours (over night)

Now last few days i thought i would try to overclock my CPU, to see if this helps with different settings. I tried

bclk 160 (3.2) CPU overclock speed
dram freq : ddr3 1282MHz

dram timings 8-8-8-24
CPU voltage 1.10000
dram bus voltage 1.64
load line calibration enabled
If i haven't mentioned anything its on default or auto.

Now no matter what boot i do hot or cold, its always reading 4 gig. i did a CPU stress test for 1 hr 100% load and it passed and never bsod or rebooted, temps was about 50-53 degrees, so no problems here

I then overclocked my CPU to 3.8
bclk 181
dram freq 1451
dram timings 8-8-8-24
CPU voltage 1.20000
dram bus voltage 1.64
load line enabled
everything else auto or default setting

run stress test for 1 hr 100% CPU load, temps reading 58-60 degrees no crashes or restarts. so CPU run fine, but still the mem was only reading 4 of the 6 gig in place.

So this not fixing the problem, i went into bios and set all the values i had changed back to the original settings. saved and restarted but only read 4 gig.

I went to bios again and went to the exit screen and load setup defaults saved and restarted, loaded 6 gig of ram (triple chan mode).

I restarted again, still reading 6 gig of ram (triple chan mode) which is so strange to me now i seem to be running in circles trying to locate this problem.

So my only thought now could it be a mem voltage issue remember i tried the settings set in the first post which didn't help me (maybe theres some additional values i need to enter for my certain type of ram)

my other worry is could it be the CPU mem controller not allowing enough voltage to my 3rd channel on the board hence it only reading 4 of the 6 slots. ( so maybe i need to enter another value for this to work with my memory)

I payed the extra money for an overclocking board but it seems like atm this board don't like to be over clocked, this is my last effort for a fix before i sell the board and am forced to buy a cheaper board, which i don't want to do

There has to be a setting somewhere that's not allowing my board to resume triple chan mode, and its just loading dual chan mode.

System parts: (only using 6 gig of the 18 gigs tested with)
Intel i7-920 (Bloomfield) Quad Core Processor - 2.66 GHz
Zalman CNPS10X-Quiet CPU Cooler
Corsair CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 6GB Dominator
Corsair (TR3X6G1600C8D) 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Crucial BL25664BN1608 PC1600 6GB Memory RAM
Antec TruePower Quattro 1200 - Power supply
Sapphire HD5970 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
definitely start a new thread as well with bios settings tried in a format similar to the bios settings template in sticky threads. Suggestions and relevant links in first post of http://i4memory.com/ramdetect/ are important i.e. never use auto values for voltages. First post further recommended reading links have further examples.

Further Recommended Reading & Examples:
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #140
KudGray
KudGray's PC Specs

Ahah sorry I have forgotten the main thing, it's an ASUS P6T SE. There's no sticky post though.
KudGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #141
Jim82
Jim82's PC Specs

Asus has released new BIOS for my board(P6X58-E). I have updated my system, and upon setting the correct BIOS values (1.64v RAM 9-9-9-24), all 12GB now shows!!!

I'm still not optimistic, but it's the best result I've had so far!

Go check the downloads for you motherboards, maybe you're in luck

/Jim
Jim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #142
eva2000
Administrator
eva2000's PC Specs

twitter.com/i4memorycom Facebook Page livestream.com/i4memorycom
hey Jim.. nice a few months late on bios updates - Asus must be busy with sandybridge and new UEFI tech hehe
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #143
Jim82
Jim82's PC Specs

By Jim82 View Post
Asus has released new BIOS for my board(P6X58-E). I have updated my system, and upon setting the correct BIOS values (1.64v RAM 9-9-9-24), all 12GB now shows!!!

I'm still not optimistic, but it's the best result I've had so far!

Go check the downloads for you motherboards, maybe you're in luck

/Jim
Damn, 10GB shown again this morning Back to the drawingboard Asus/Intel
Jim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #144
salparadise
salparadise's PC Specs

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm really need your help. I don't know what can I do so that my motherboard recognize all memory.
I tried reseat the cpu a lot of times. I did a lot of settings posted here in this forum. I tried the asus template... I tried rma the memory, rma the motherboard... and the same issue.
I'm frustaded...
All settings works fine just with 4 gb, but the problem is: channel B doesn't recognize the memory, so I have only 4 gb instead of 6 gb.
Now, I saw that, into the DRAM Timing Control, the option DRAM Round Trip Latency in CHB never get a value. All the times that I performed the tests, the value was 0. While at the CHA and CHC always get 55, 57...
I read a topic here explaining how to calculate this clock and I did the settings manually, but without success. Is this can be the problem??

Please, If somebody knows how to do this motherboard works, give me some help!

Core I7 930 - MB P6X58D-E - Bios 0405 (latest version)
3x2 gb Memory Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9
I also tried with this kit --3x 2 gb Kingston Hyper X T1 KHX1600C9D3T1K3/6GX

Thanks in advance.
salparadise is offline   Reply With Quote